Cutting off algae infected leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
So when doing maintenance, trimming off old leaves covered in bba (I think I have the new growth stopped but pretty sure the existing bba isn't ever gonna leave) do I cut the leaf all the way at the stem or can I cut only the bba covered portion of the leaf? I guess I'm curious because I want to encourage new growth and I'm unsure if I don't remove the entire leaf if it will encourage new growth? Thanks for any hints

Trim off the whole leaf. If you just trim part of the leaf it will more than likely die. I had to do that to several of my plants because of algae. Just cut it close to the stim. I have had new offshoots start from such trimming.

That's been my experience as well. With many plants, if you cut/damage a leaf too severely, the entire thing will die back on its own. I would just trim it to the stalk and call it good. For plants like crypts or anubias that grow slow enough that you might not necessarily want to lose a leaf, you can also try to chemically treat it with H2O2/Excel spot treatment, although BBA can often times do a doozy on leaves such that trimming is the best option.

Back
Top Bottom