Dark Cycle CO2 Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coconutmuffn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I suddenly seem to have an issue with CO2 accumulation in the water during my dark cycle. Here's my story:

I recently(3 days ago) replaced my Biowheel 280 power filter with a canister filter for better filtration and decreased surface disturbance. I have been running the Hagen CO2 canister with 1/4 tsp yeast for about a month now in this 37 gal tank. Suddenly, tonight, about 2 hours into my dark cycle my fish were all at the top gasping/gilling for air. My CO2 was sky high so I put in an airstone and disconnected the CO2 to bring the fish back around.

Almost everyone is doing fine now, but my question is, how can I regulate this massive accumulation during the dark cycle with the DIY? Will leaving it run, but turning on an airstone or two be enough/too much? For so long I've had such a terrible time keeping CO2 in the tank, now I can't get rid of it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I had the same problem with my DIY system. In the AM, after the dark cycle, my CO2 ppm was 100+ (using the pH/KH index). I added a 6" bubble wall to my tank that kicks on 1 hr after lights out, and shuts off 1 hr before lights on, and my CO2 is almost constant at 30-50 ppm, right in the sweet spot so to speak.

you can put a air stone on the timer. i would look into a drop check since they do read co2 levels a lot better. a number of things and throw off the ph kh index. may not be the case in your tank.

I use a drop checker as well, but think that the pH/KH index is more accurate. The drop checker reads a very wide range... i.e. it tells your your CO2 is "high" but not how high. There is a big difference in level of concern if you have 50 ppm CO2 vs 120 ppm CO2, but all a drop checker would tell you is it is high.

Back
Top Bottom