Diary of the 75G planted tank.... New pics 6/26/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, last night all was well, but then this morning, I found one of the new males dead on the bottom. And he seemed just fine yesterday, came up for feeding and everything. Things are getting strange. I may need to bring the temp down soon.

Edit:
Bringing temps down now. Hasn't been a full 2 weeks, but too much is happening, and the temps here are quite warm. Will keep an eye to be sure I have no more ick breakouts. Gonna try to get my tanks to 77-78 degrees over the next 2-3 days.

New Update.....

All 3 Bolivians are now in the 75G. They just won't spawn anymore in the 29G, no matter which male I have with her. So we'll see if maybe a completely different environment will help.

Got a couple good shots of one of my fat otos.

75g439.jpg

75g440.jpg

75g441.jpg

75g442.jpg

Very nice tank, LWB. I think the red stem with green leaves on the Foxtail is very attractive. Your otos are huge!

Your tank looks great and I love your selection of fish. It definetly gives my motivation twards my tank.

czcz said:
Very nice tank, LWB. I think the red stem with green leaves on the Foxtail is very attractive. Your otos are huge!

Any ideas on how to make it red? lol. It's one of the plants that was red when it was shipped to me, but then turned green in my tank, lol. It's a red foxtail.

Also, check my 10G thread in the Breeding section, I have new pics there as well.

Less NO3, more traces, and more PO4 will help with color. You have nice color from the L. brevipes and R. rotundifolia, and to get that to your other plants should only need minor adjustments to your dosing schedule.

Personally I like the look of the red stem with green leaves more than all red Foxtail btw. Your pics of it kind of looks like greenish R. "Vietnam."

Hey LWB your tank looks great! Czcz is bang on as usual. My Ludwigia palustris was a beautiful pink, red colour. My NO3 was steady at 10ppm. I upped N03 to 20ppm to help deal with some algea issues for a couple of weeks. My P04 stayed the same at 1.5 to 2ppm. Helped with the algea, but the L. palustris went allot greener. Still nice, but nothing like it was. It's a balancing act. Higher the light the tougher it gets. Lower N03 gets you nice reds, but algea likes to rear it's ugly head. Lower N03 is harder to maintain as you have to watch it dosn't bottom out on you, especially with higher light and lots of plants. Higher N03 is easier to maintain, basically dose lots and forget it till your weekly 50% water change. No algea issues but you lose those beautiful reds! Thats the way it's been in my tank so far.

Update:

Having to medicate tank. I've done a 65% PWC today, filled the tank, added Prime, dosed ferts, then shortly after I medicated with Maracyn Two. The Serpae's are getting bad, and now one of the male GBR's has the same thing. And possibly popeye. So I figured I've had success using Maracyn Two in the past with no mini-cycle, so I'll try again. And for a 75G, well, let's put it this way, it's SPENDY, lol. Just the first dose is 15 tablets. Then it's 7.5 tablets per day for 5 days. Ouch. LOL. But I need to get this stopped and fast. I'm also running my diatom filter (Vortex XL 400gph) at least 3 hrs a day for the duration of the treatment as well. Hoping I can get this stopped.

Well, it's been months and months since I've gone from this post to a new one when I redid my 75G, and thought I'd just dig this out of the graveyard for any newbies to check out. I do have new pics, and I'll post them into my other thread, as it's my continuing saga, lol.

Back
Top Bottom