Diary of the 75G planted tank.... New pics 6/26/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry about your female ram. I lost my female ram to an injury. She just appeared with a sore on her...I suspect from my Bolivian. She died the next day. They just don't do well with injuries.

Always sucks to hear about that. The pictures you had of her were absolutely amazing.

That sucks, Wolf.....sorry to hear about your loss. I love GBRs especially the females because they seem to be so friendly. After I lost 3 pair of them, I decided to give them up. I just couldn't deal with losing fish that were flourishing one minute and dying the next. Bolivians are a lot more hardy, buy don't have anywhere near the personality that GBRs have. They tend to hide more and are not as social.

Well, I got them today. And boy were they active, lol. They were in excellent health. But only time will tell if that is truely the case. I got the fish at about 10:00am, then brought them home from work at noon, and acclimated them, and placed in the tank. Was perfect timing, because I have the timer set so the tank lights are off from 12-2. So the first couple hours of being in the tank was semi-dark, with only the ambient light. The only fish that didn't take a liking to the new tankmates was my stupid red tail shark, lol. Won't let them get near the cave on the left side of the tank, lol. He's had such an attitude lately, I was thinking of putting him over in with the rainbow sharks, lol. And see how a bad attitude works with another bad attitude, lol. Probably wouldn't be the prettiest sight, lol.

Well, here's a couple pics. Will get more when they get a little more comfortable. They seem to be adjusting very nicely. :)

75g396.jpg

75g397.jpg

75g398.jpg

75g399.jpg

75g400.jpg

75g401.jpg

Great looking fish! Hopefully, having some "homebreds" will be an improvement from the hormone enhanced fish we come across at the LFS. BTW, I added 2 more Bolivians to my 30gal for a total of 5. I hope I am able to find a breeding pair at some point...

You have a serious amount of my envy...I am just starting in the hobby (see the lack of fish under my name??), and I would love to make a planted tank, however, I learned long ago to walk before running. I will establish a nice stable system for a while, and then move on to more advanced items. By then I should have enough wisdom to plant... :)

Your tank is beautiful, and your fish are very lucky to be so well taken care of!

MSU Fan said:
I am just starting in the hobby (see the lack of fish under my name??), and I would love to make a planted tank, however, I learned long ago to walk before running.
It takes awhile to reach the level of skill to make plants in the aquarium look real good, but a bunch of cheap stem plants (like eloda or horwort) can actually help stabilize the water in a new aquarium. Just stay away from plants with demanding requirements until you're ready.

LWB, in the last pictures you posted the 3rd pic with the small GBR. The plant in that pic, what is it? Is that foxtail? I bought some of that today and the LFS called it japanese anacharis or something. I asked them if it was foxtail and they didn't know it by that name.

MSU Fan said:
You have a serious amount of my envy...I am just starting in the hobby (see the lack of fish under my name??), and I would love to make a planted tank, however, I learned long ago to walk before running. I will establish a nice stable system for a while, and then move on to more advanced items. By then I should have enough wisdom to plant... :)

Your tank is beautiful, and your fish are very lucky to be so well taken care of!

Actually, when I first started, I jumped in head first. Everyone was telling me to take it slow, and not to start with a fully-loaded tank, and what did I do? I bought enough plants to stock 3 tanks, which I ended up putting some plants in other tanks, lol. And what happened about 2 weeks after planting? The plants were pushing my hood off the tank, lol. So, when you are ready, take some good advice from people here when looking for plants, and how much to put in for what you want. Because if you start with it looking the way you want it, and it starts filling in, there will be too much, lol. But that's just me. If I take it slow, I usually goof things up. So that's why I jump in with all 4 feet, lol. Then I take care of problems after that, lol. So much easier for me anyways. But everyone is different in their approach, and comfort levels.

Peyton said:
LWB, in the last pictures you posted the 3rd pic with the small GBR. The plant in that pic, what is it? Is that foxtail? I bought some of that today and the LFS called it japanese anacharis or something. I asked them if it was foxtail and they didn't know it by that name.

If you look at the pic with the single GBR, that's a red foxtail. It's green now though, lol. Can't get it to turn red like it was when I got it, lol. The rest of the pics with all the GBR are anacharis.

Edit:
And the pic just above the one with the single GBR has red foxtails on the left side of the picture.

wolf, how many rams do you have in that tank.. do you think I could keep a pair along with my trio of cacs?

I have 7 complete pairs. I do believe that if there is enough tank space, you should be able to keep them with cacs. But if you want to be sure, ask Weasel F. He breeds apistos, and has much better knowlege of them.

Update:
The new GBR's are doing awsome. They seem to really like it. I did a little cleanup in my 75G, and all the new GBR's had to get their noses in the way, lol. I thought it was cool when my female did it, but now I got the whole group doing it, other than my older males. They all sit about an inch from my hand, checking out what I'm doing, lol. Pretty awsome to see. :)

wow wolf tank is starting to look like the streets crowds of NY in a good way though. love the fish man good going.

Back
Top Bottom