DIY co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coating it in silicone may/may not work. I have never tried it so I don't know if it will keep the co2 in or not.

Yeah trial and error, better to undershoot than over shoot if you have fish in the tank. Just realize the output is kinda parabolic that's why people run two bottles feeding into one bubble counter then to tank. Change one bottle every week, leaving the older bottle alone, and vice verse for the next week. This helps with the fluctuation in output.

Don't worry so much about CO2 resistant tubing if it's just DIY. It's really not that big of a deal unless your running a lengthy line to the tank. Regular air line is permeable to CO2 so the idea is that with pressure you lose a large amount of gas passing through the air line material. Its kind of trivial in some sense because O2 is a smaller molecule than CO2, and no one uses O2 resistant line for aerators. With pressurized systems you are usually running higher pressures as well (~50 psi) so there is more concern with air line CO2 permeability.

Oh ok, think I get it now
So I think I'll run 2, 1 liter bottles connected to the bubble counter
So now I need to make 3 holes in the bubble counter right?

Oh ok, think I get it now
So I think I'll run 2, 1 liter bottles connected to the bubble counter
So now I need to make 3 holes in the bubble counter right?

Not necessarily. You could use a "T" connector to combine the two CO2 generators into single line. I would suggest using decent quality check valves between each generator and "T" connector. This will allow you remove one generator to refresh it and NOT depressurize the system.

Another way to achive the same goal is including in the t-valve a way to switch the flow. I have used before in a DIY CO2 system (not the one I currently run) a dis extension or triple outlet IV line. It allows you to select where you want the flow to go. Here is a photo of what I mean:

Edit: I did not use a ceramic difuser on that setup, just an air stone. So pressure was not that high, I might try it soon with my current setup.

Attachments

• image-2321824464.jpg
    image-2321824464.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom