Excel or Just Flourish? plus more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
What the difference between flourish excel and just plain flourish?

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=28601;category_id=3141;pcid1=3349;pcid2=

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=28595;category_id=3141;pcid1=3349;pcid2=

i am ordering some flourish tabs for my plants and would also like to get one of these to dose so my plants stay healthy ... also have decided on a light fixture .. the 50/50 one for my 29 gal tank that way i wont have to worry about CO2 and can still grow some low to med light plants :)

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=33942;category_id=1875;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

also is there a way to get this fixture in black if i ask big als? ... TIA

Ray

flourish is fertilizer (nitrogen, potassium, ect)

flourish excel is a liquid carbon that replaces or supplements co2 injection.

tabs are fine for heavy root feeders like swords but they do not replace dosing. Even with low light your plants will benefit from excel... they will need less flourish.. if you have fish in the tank they will provide nitrogen and phosphate... you can add a little flourish potasium and a good trace fertilizer like Tropica Master Grow (in very small amounts).. flourish trace is worthless

flourish is just a brand name that covers many products such as plain flourish, excel, potassium ect

The first link is actually Flourish Comprehensive, and is a good Trace Fert (much better than Flourish Trace).

As Sherry stated, Flourish Excel provides a source of carbon and can be used as the sole source or in combination with CO2 injection. It's great for small tanks, but can be a bit expensive in larger tanks.

If you want a black fixture, you'll need to go with a brand other than Coralife. That's the only color they make it in. http://www.esuweb.com/subcategory.a...mpact Fluorescent Lamp Fixtures&RelationID=13

You might want to consider this fixture instead. http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29601;category_id=2281. It has the same wattage, a 50/50 bulb, is black, has a lunar light, and comes with mounting legs for only $5 more. If you are planning to use the mounting legs anyway, this fixture will end up being less expensive.

Is the lunar light really that effective or does is serve any real use besides viewing fish at night? .... also i do like the look of that fixture and is it a good brand that i can find bulbs for if i need em? ..... does anyone know how wide this fixture is because im going to get an all glass top cover for my tank because the plastic hood i have now is breaking.

Since i do have some swords ive decided to get some tabs along with the flourish excel .... and one of these light fixture which i guess ill decide on once you guys reply ... TIA

Ray

The lunar light is just a cool feature that allows you to view your tank at night.

I haven't used Current yet, but have heard some very good things about that brand from other members here. I'll definately be considering it when I buy my next light fixture.

Coralife uses straight pin bulbs while Current uses square pin bulbs. Both configurations appear to be readily available online in the 65 Watt size that you would need.

DrsFosterSmith lists the full dimensions for the Current Fixtures under more information. The ESU link that I provided you earlier has the full dimensions on their products.

When choosing a light fixtre, you may want to look at it in person so you can see how wide it is and how the light disperses. I have the coralife aqualight 65w for my 20 gal... I'm not so pleased with how narrow it is and have to place it in the middle for optimal dispersion. I also don't use the glass top any more so that the maximum light spreads out. Look for one that had good reflectors and a wide dispersal range to get to the front and back evenly. If it has a moonlite incorporated, even better, then you cna remove the glass top if you prefer to.

I do think im gonna go with the current satelitte one that has the 50/50 bulb from Big Als just because it comes with the extra lunar light ... can anyone who owns one vouch for the quality of this brand?

Also is there any difference is quality or stuff between square or straight pin or is it just the way the bulb fits into the fixture?

TIA

Ray

I own a fixture with a straight pin..........it seems that square pin is easier to come by.

Thanks for all your guys input .... i ordered my new current light fixture today along with some flourish tabs and liquid excel (and another digital therm so i can test water when i PWC) .... also since im just running a NO some of my plants in there are getting some brown leaves ... should i leave them or cut them off or just wait for my new light?

Also im starting to see some algae in the tank on my driftwood and some of the plants ... i do have some MTS in the tank along with some cherry shrimp ... also just added some zebra danios today (my first fish buy ever) .... would a pleco that stays about 4 to 6in be good for my tank or a school or cories? and would they eat all the algae?
TIA

Ray

Back
Top Bottom