Mebbid's DIY root tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I assume given enough depth no leaching would occur.

I also imagine though that since the mix is ground up it would dissipate faster than if it were not no?

Caleb

I assume given enough depth no leaching would occur.

I also imagine though that since the mix is ground up it would dissipate faster than if it were not no?

Caleb

It probably would. EDIT: I was talking about the dissipation speed, not whether it would leech or not. Just to clarify.

The Dustinsfishtanks thing is a good idea. Especially since the point of the little balls in the first place is to slow release the fertilizer anyway.

But I assume what the sell on TGM (Findley's company) can't dissipate any slower than ground up Osmocote. I may give it a shot and test it, but I'll do research and wait to see replies here before I do anything.

I don't know if this was the cause or not, but I put oscomote + down under the substrate in a new tank and got 8ppm+ ammonia readings for weeks. Finally got stability which took it down, but be careful to not put too much down. I would use more than the amount that would go in 5 capsules for a 10 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't know if this was the cause or not, but I put oscomote + down under the substrate in a new tank and got 8ppm+ ammonia readings for weeks. Finally got stability which took it down, but be careful to not put too much down. I would use more than the amount that would go in 5 capsules for a 10 gallon.

If your ammonia stayed that high for weeks then you probably don't have a solid colony of BB (beneficial bacteria) to break down that ammonia. Part of the idea, I think, is that as some ammonia is released, it is quickly used up by the bacteria in the substrate or the filter. So you shouldn't get that much of a spike, certainly not one that lasts more than a day or two.

I tested one of my root tabs out in a 5g bucket of water over a period of 36 hours to test the ammonia production.

One size 00 root tab produced 0.5ppm of ammonia and 0ppm of both nitrite and nitrate in approximately 4.5g of water.

This means that in 1 gallon of water with 1 root tab there should be:

0.11ppm of ammonia
which converts to approximately 0.4ppm of nitrates in 1 gallon of water.

Math gives us an approximate measurement per day and a half of production for each root tab thats exposed to the water column.
0.01ppm ammonia / 0.04ppm of nitrate in a 10g tank
0.002ppm ammonia / 0.007ppm nitrate in a 55g tank
Check my post

If your ammonia stayed that high for weeks then you probably don't have a solid colony of BB (beneficial bacteria) to break down that ammonia. Part of the idea, I think, is that as some ammonia is released, it is quickly used up by the bacteria in the substrate or the filter. So you shouldn't get that much of a spike, certainly not one that lasts more than a day or two.

The BB wasn't most definitely not established so of course that didn't help, but it did seem to cause more ammonia than most new tanks get

Osmocote+. Should i use it instead of osmocote?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cool. My ace hardware has a ton. Thanks mebbid.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

After reading 33 pages from this thread I got confuse in one thing, is Osmocote+ and the capsules the only thing I need or there is others ferts I need to mix?

After reading 33 pages from this thread I got confuse in one thing, is Osmocote+ and the capsules the only thing I need or there is others ferts I need to mix?

You need what you said AND Miracle Gro Tomato and Vegetables.

You then make a 50/50 mix and fill the capsules.

Caleb

When i made this thread osmocote + had been discontinued which prompted me to pick a few ferts to mix into one tab.

Osmocote + and the dynamite that i mentioned are both excellent ferts that dont need to be mixed with anything.

When i made this thread osmocote + had been discontinued which prompted me to pick a few ferts to mix into one tab.

Osmocote + and the dynamite that i mentioned are both excellent ferts that dont need to be mixed with anything.

So you're currently not mixing?

I am currently mixing the 2 ferts i posted on originally. I have a lifetime supply and a lot of success woth it so i dont see any need to change it up.
ok Thanks I really got a little confuse but I think I got it now.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all the knowledge in this thread that is helping me enjoy my hobby and being successful at it. Here I am at 2:20 am in the morning here in Phoenix reading up on how to make my plants better and ordering stuff off Homedepot.com to make these tablets! LOL I am really looking forward to seeing how they work out and hope they will make my plants great! Again, thank you to the OP and everyone for your knowledge and willingness to help someone with info like this. Best wishes, Scott.

Back
Top Bottom