Extreme algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big-j

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so my ten gallon has is slightly planted three unknowns and a dwarf lily plant, and an aqueon quietflow 10g filter. Over the last three weeks or so the algae has gotten worse and worse, first brownish spots on the glass, then a green glaze on the gravel and stringy green algae on the filter and plants, I've cleaned several times wiping down the glass and everything but it just comes right back, the water is quite green as well, any ideas to counter this outbreak?

It sounds like you are being affected by several different kinds of algae.

A few questions:

What are your water parameters? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH/KH if you have it)

What kind of lighting do you have on the tank? (type of bulbs, wattage, color temp)

How long per day are you lighting the tank?

How long has the tank been established?

Are you dosing any kind of fertilizers?

What kind of fish are in the tank? How many of each? How often are you feeding, and what are you feeding?

Some pics of the plants will help identify what you have... and help determine proper lighting. Some pics of the algae will help specifically identify which types you have.

I have:
8 neon tetrae
1 male DTHM betta
5 julii corydoras
5-9 rcs
2 otos

The parameters are:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
pH is 7.4

The tank is cycled it finished cycling back around Christmas

I light the tank irregularly, I'm a college student so the light comes on when I wake up and turns off when I go to bed

No fertilizers and my lights are stock ten gallon lid lights nothing special, I feed once a day with TetraColor flakes and 4 HBH sinking shrimp pellets

the lighting questions are very important as well...

As far as fish, you are a bit overstocked. Excess bioload can contribute to algae growth. Your water parameters look good though. How often are you doing PWCs, and how much at a time?

ok. And the lighting questions? They are the most important. Also the questions on the plants, and any chance you can post pics?

How long are you up? 16 hours or so? That's twice as much as it needs to be on. Go buy a timer (~$5) and set it for 8 hours. You're just begging for algae if you light more than 12 hours IMO, but anything over 8 isn't necessary except for specific situations.

ok, they weren't there before ;)

Still need more info - can you look at the bulbs and see what wattage they are? Are the florescent lights? Specifics will help solve your problem.

Irregularly lighting the tank is probably also contributing. You should pick up a cheap timer at the hardware store and set a strict photo period of about 8 hours for now.

However, in the near term, leaving the lights off will help reduce the algae that is currently there.

From the info so far I would say you have diatoms, hair algae, and an algae bloom in the water, most likely due to too long a photo period, and the wrong lights for a planted tank. The large bioload you have from overstocking is probably also contributing.

Reduce feeding to every other day, if you are feeding daily. That can also help. Any excess food that makes it to the bottom of the tank will contribute to both nitrates and PO4, which is food for algae.

It looks like you are using the iPhone App. There is an issue with uploading photos using the app atm. You can upload them on a regular computer if that is available to you.

15w incandescents are the lights I think I'm no expert on lights and I don't have a camera to post on my computer lol

Ok, thats definitely part of your problem. Incandescents are terrible at growing plants, but they are GREAT are growing algae ;). Swap the incandescent for the spiral screw in compact florescents. That will help. While you are at the hardware store getting the bulbs, pick up a timer too. Look for bulbs that say "day light" or if the color temp is specified, 6700K-10000K.

It will turn the light on and off... You can get one at home depot or lowes for less than $10. You just plug the timer into the wall, and the light into the timer.

Back
Top Bottom