Finnex is confusing me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am about to buy a 24 in finnex for my 20 gallon tall. I am trying to achieve moderate light in my dirted no co2 tank. I want the greens to show up well. I dont want the washed out look.
Do I want the ray 2 or the fugeray planted? I know one is supposed to wash out the colors and the other is not. Help?

Thanks and God bless!

My take on it is in your other similar thread...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/25-tall-light-and-substrate-questions-283880.html

If you're on the fence, just wait. The planted+ ships next week and then you'll see tons of threads, especially on TPT, with hobbyists posting about it. You can see what everyone is saying about it because more than likely, they have owned other Finnex lights (including the Ray 2) and can offer insight on how they like it compared to their other Finnex models.

My take on it is in your other similar thread...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/25-tall-light-and-substrate-questions-283880.html

If you're on the fence, just wait. The planted+ ships next week and then you'll see tons of threads, especially on TPT, with hobbyists posting about it. You can see what everyone is saying about it because more than likely, they have owned other Finnex lights (including the Ray 2) and can offer insight on how they like it compared to their other Finnex models.

Thanks! I just went a reread what you said! I had forgotten where we had discussed that! I thought the fugeray was the better light color but I couldnt remember 100% and didnt want to invest and then regret it!
I will probably buy the fugeray next week!

Well the "fugeray" and the "fugeray planted+" are two different animals.

Fugeray = all white LED's (7,000K) like the Ray 2 (just less intense). Also has moonlights.

Fugeray Planted+ = White + Red (660nm) LED's. Also has moonlights.

IMO, I'm just guessing.. but the Planted+ will have more PAR than the older FugeRay and also have a better PUR (Photosynthetically usable radiation) by supplementing the red spectrum. Plus, if you have any reddish plants or inhabitants, they'll look much better under the Planted+.

Well the "fugeray" and the "fugeray planted+" are two different animals.

Fugeray = all white LED's (7,000K) like the Ray 2 (just less intense). Also has moonlights.

Fugeray Planted+ = White + Red (660nm) LED's. Also has moonlights.

IMO, I'm just guessing.. but the Planted+ will have more PAR than the older FugeRay and also have a better PUR (Photosynthetically usable radiation) by supplementing the red spectrum. Plus, if you have any reddish plants or inhabitants, they'll look much better under the Planted+.

Yes thanks I want the fugeray planted. Do hey have timers for the regular lights and the moonlihhts?

You need to consider that using that light you are going to have to at least use liquid carbon and decent ferts (micro's and macro's) or your going to end up with algae issues.

You need to consider that using that light you are going to have to at least use liquid carbon and decent ferts (micro's and macro's) or your going to end up with algae issues.

The fugeray planted on a 25 tall? I thought that would only be medium light? If needed couldnt I just put some frogbit up top to dim the light a bit?

Sure but floating plants like frogbit use a lot of nutrients, especially nitrates so other plants can be nutrient starved and you will need to use lower light plants. You have to choose what you want. Low light plants that make it possible to maybe not have to use ferts and liquid carbon or medium light plants that will struggle without proper ferts and liquid carbon over time. You have to decide what is more important.

Sure but floating plants like frogbit use a lot of nutrients, especially nitrates so other plants can be nutrient starved and you will need to use lower light plants. You have to choose what you want. Low light plants that make it possible to maybe not have to use ferts and liquid carbon or medium light plants that will struggle without proper ferts and liquid carbon over time. You have to decide what is more important.

I dont want ferts or carbon. What light should I use instead? And what plantw could I have. Tank is dirted. I want it to look like a jungle preferably with some grassy looking plants. I was thinking crypts, flame moss, micro sword, and Im not sure what else. I guess I need something tall considering tank size. I want the plants to actually grow not just maintain. Also I would like to stick with leds if possible.

Brian would be better for lighting answers as that is not my strong suit. As for tall plants you can do Jungle Val and Crypt Balanese which is one of my favorites. Both handle low light. Bolbitus is another one of my favorites. They give a nice dark green element to a tank along with a fern type look. I like Trident and Wendilov Java Ferns. Then there are so many different types of Anubia's in various sizes you can use. Just like crypts, if you shop around especially on the planted tanks for sale page there are many species of crypts. You can use 4 Leaf Clover, Marsilea quadrifolia. And depending on how low the lighting is Tiger Lotus can grow in lower light.

How about going with a current satellite LED+? It has a lower PAR and can be dimmed via the remote. You can customize the color output as well because it has RGB LEDs along with the white ones.

How about going with a current satellite LED+? It has a lower PAR and can be dimmed via the remote. You can customize the color output as well because it has RGB LEDs along with the white ones.

I actually have one but have been less than thrilled with growth. Would it be enough light in a 25 tall?

I suppose a better way to ask is would the current usa penetrate deep enough.
Also is there a cheaper way to put the moonlights and regular lights on a seperate timer? The ramp timers are ridiculous!

The satellite's par drops at 12 inch and isnt recommend on deeper planted tanks but in you case it sounds like the perfect light. Low light plants should still grow well at the 4 inch deeper depth.

I'v ordered the FugeRay Planted+ LED at 24" depth par will make my 75 med light. So if your at 16" I would think its fair to say it would be med to high light in your tank

Last edited:
The satellite's par drops at 12 inch and isnt recommend on deeper planted tanks but in you case it sounds like the perfect light. Low light plants should still grow well at the 4 inch deeper depth.

I'v ordered the FugeRay Planted+ LED at 24" depth par will make my 75 med light. So if your at 16" I would think its fair to say it would be med to high light in your tank

So crypt bal. , vals, other crypts,flame moss, and he like will be ok? I want stuff to really grow not live. I thought the dirt would provide carbon and nutrients plenty so now Im having to rethink.

I know. Choosing Lighting is worse that having to buy a car. If you go to the planted tank site. Look under sponsors for Finnex led. They go over it all but still think satellite is a beter fit for you. I think the finnex is going be to much light for you. The do make a "monster led" make for fish color that would also fit your need

I know. Choosing Lighting is worse that having to buy a car. If you go to the planted tank site. Look under sponsors for Finnex led. They go over it all but still think satellite is a beter fit for you. I think the finnex is going be to much light for you. The do make a "monster led" make for fish color that would also fit your need

I just hope the satellite will be enough light! I have one already I can test with though so it wouldnt hurt. I wasnusing it on my 36 bowfront but I can look into other options for it. Any suggestions on a good low light led for it? Just growing different anubias.

Back
Top Bottom