Fluval edge 2 six gallon nano tank leds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lostintheforest

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm currently in the process of cycling my new tank (the fluval edge with the led light config) and have got some caboba and Xmas tree moss which I'd like to get established. I've been having a tough time finding out how powerful the LEDs are that come standard with the Edge, and if they're adequate for a planted aquarium. Im also supplementing them with some flourish as well. Thanks for your advice!

I couldn't find any specs on the amount of lumens. This is what it says on their website. "With new Edge comes a completely re-designed lighting system. Super bright LED bulbs (21 bulbs on the 23L model, 42 bulbs on the 46L model) with a 7600k spectrum create a strong, white light."

I'm pretty sure the Fluval Edge 2 is the 12 gallon version and the Edge 1 I'd the 6 gallon. The LEDs on them aren't really bright enough to grow many plants, although you could most likely do low light plants.

You may be right about the 12 gallon being the edge 2, not sure. I just assumed the 2 was because they upgraded the lighting system. Anyhow here are some photos of the lighting system. I read that you can purchase the lightin system for the 12 gallon (which has more LEDs) and put it on the 6gallon model. Think thats the best option?

Attachments

• image-817950926.jpg
    image-817950926.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 86
  • image-621401313.jpg
    image-621401313.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 88
Oh yeah and here's a pic of my tank so far. The Xmas moss on the wood is not really doing too well (I think I may have cooked it a bit by attaching it to the wood before it had completely cooled.) I am seeing new growth on the tips, but so far it's been growing very slowly.

Attachments

• image-679663180.jpg
    image-679663180.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 199
I am only guessing here.... but it appears that there are 21 leds..... If each led is 1 watt, and thats a big if.... you are looking at a low light situation. LED's generally run from .1 watts to 1 watt. You could always buy another LED stick to add to the setup for pretty cheap on Ebay.

As a side note... I am thinking you will want about 35 watts, or about 400 lumens worth of light.

Are you good with electric/wiring? If you are I can share a little bit about what I am doing.... (Just understand its an experiment and I do not guarantee it will work..)

Lainey183 said:
As a side note... I am thinking you will want about 35 watts, or about 400 lumens worth of light.

Lumens is a measure of visible light, and light behaves differently in water. A better measure would be PAR, because it measures how much light is actually reaching bottom of the tank.

unfortunately electrical wiring is not something i'm very experience with. I do love figuring things out and learning new things though so if you'd like to share with me what you're doing that would be great (i'm also just intrigued by the "experimental" factor).
I just did a quick search on ebay and found this. do you think this would be an adequate addition? it would be to supplement the existing lighting system of course (not replace it).

Aquarium LED 6500K WHITE Light 18 LEDs 1 ft Strip 250 Lumens 12 inch + Power | eBay

I have done some quick research and it appears to get a PAR measurement you have to buy a quantum meter running about 350 dollars....

wow! that's certainly out of my budget at the moment. good to know the difference between lumens and par though! i honestly don't need to get too technical/fancy with things at the moment. i just want to make sure i'm providing my plants with enough energy to grow, and be healthy. perhaps you can recommend just a good aquarium plant light in general (for a 6 gallon with lots of plants). i suppose i should keep an eye out for something at the 35 watt/400 lumen range. thanks again for all your help!!

unfortunately electrical wiring is not something i'm very experience with. I do love figuring things out and learning new things though so if you'd like to share with me what you're doing that would be great (i'm also just intrigued by the "experimental" factor).
I just did a quick search on ebay and found this. do you think this would be an adequate addition? it would be to supplement the existing lighting system of course (not replace it).

Aquarium LED 6500K WHITE Light 18 LEDs 1 ft Strip 250 Lumens 12 inch + Power | eBay

In my opinion I think it looks like a pretty decent option. By my math it would add about 3 watts for gallon to what you already have.

This is what I am going to be using:
48 SMD Pure White Light Panel T10 BA9S Festoon Dome 48 LED Interior Bulb Lamp | eBay

They are made for dome lights in cars. I will be using aprox. 16 of them. My husband is going to wire them up so I have the option to have some or all on. The color temp is 6,000k so I may need to add some red and blue LEDS but I am going to figure that out later. My husband is also going to make me a custom hood and the actual LEDS will be raised a few inches above the tank. All said and done I ordered 20 of them for 60 bucks. They are aprox 1 inches by 2.. (rough estimate, my husband has done all the mathematics on it).

The watt per gallon "rule" usually works best with larger tanks and T8 lighting. With LEDs the only true way to tell is to just test the PAR.

Back
Top Bottom