Fluval Edge plant advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Asgerlund

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody :)

Im seeing advice on a plant for my tank (12 gallon). A tall one to hide the heater, airstone and filter intake. Right now i have a betta and 3 otos :) maybe adding some ember tetras later. The attached pictures are of the tank right now. Thank you in advance :)

Asger

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120507_172335.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120507_172335.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 177
  • ForumRunner_20120507_172447.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120507_172447.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 165
+1 for a black background.

I'd use Ludwigia repens or Crytocoryne crispatula "Balansae". I love Crypts.

Bacopa also grows well.

I find Anacharis somewhat messy and sometimes it doesn't like heated tanks.

Use a root tab or two for Swords or Crypts.
Wisteria is easy also.

Is it a new one? With the LEDs? If so I use Vals to cover the sides...I think the older ones that didn't have LEDs didn't grow plants as well...

This is an older pic...they have grown in a little more...still have the lame heap of java moss on the side tho heh dunno what to do with it...

Attachments

• image-2567446840.jpg
    image-2567446840.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 175
Fishandmusic81 said:
Nice tank!
And hm you could add anacharis or an amazon sword
And add a black background?

Thanks :) I love the anacharis, I'll check at my LFS is he can order one for me. Do you have any ideas for adding the background? I like the idea. It would really aid in hiding the hardware .

Asger

Coursair said:
+1 for a black background.

I'd use Ludwigia repens or Crytocoryne crispatula "Balansae". I love Crypts.

Bacopa also grows well.

I find Anacharis somewhat messy and sometimes it doesn't like heated tanks.

Use a root tab or two for Swords or Crypts.
Wisteria is easy also.

Thank you for your advice. Do you think the first two would grow in my tank with only standard LED and with liquid carbo only?

The wisteria I find quite attractive. My fishies would probably also like to have something to rest on. I'm thinking my betta in particular. So he wouldn't have to sleep on the bottom.

Interloper said:
Is it a new one? With the LEDs? If so I use Vals to cover the sides...I think the older ones that didn't have LEDs didn't grow plants as well...

This is an older pic...they have grown in a little more...still have the lame heap of java moss on the side tho heh dunno what to do with it...

It is the LED one yes. I've set the timer to 12 hours of lighting per day. What are the vals called, I'm having trouble finding them :) I think the challenge with this tank is to find a plant that stops growing before it reaches the top so it's still possible to look down into the tank.
I don't know if you can see on my pictures my I have tied my java moss to the mangrove, hoping that it would stick. You could do that as well. If you want ;)

I use LEDs over my rimless 10g. Ludwigia and Crypts and others grow fine. Some a bit paler green, but even Blyxa japonica is growing :)

I have root tabs and liquid Ferts.

Asgerlund said:
Thanks :) I love the anacharis, I'll check at my LFS is he can order one for me. Do you have any ideas for adding the background? I like the idea. It would really aid in hiding the hardware .

Asger

Yupp it grows pretty fast and should get up to the top quickly
And I just used black construction paper and taped it some people paint the back if the tank

Fishandmusic81 said:
Yupp it grows pretty fast and should get up to the top quickly
And I just used black construction paper and taped it some people paint the back if the tank

Cool, thanks :) I'll probably try with paper first and see how that goes!

Coursair said:
I use LEDs over my rimless 10g. Ludwigia and Crypts and others grow fine. Some a bit paler green, but even Blyxa japonica is growing :)

I have root tabs and liquid Ferts.

Great, I'll se if I can get some root tabs. I don't know if there is a word for that in my language but i hope my LFS will know what I mean ;)

This is what it looks like now :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120522_122013.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120522_122013.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 91
MABJ said:
That's really pretty! Is that HG with no CO2

Thank you :) Yeah its HC, im just using liquid carbo every day and so far it seems to work out :)

Asgerlund said:
Thank you :) Yeah its HC, im just using liquid carbo every day and so far it seems to work out :)

Sorry I meant HC*

And what liquid carbo product?

Very cool

Back
Top Bottom