green spot algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timwag2001

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my anubias nana has green spot algae on 6 out of 9 leaves. should i just cut them off? i'm not going to be able to get rid of it any other way am i?

you can scrub it off with a tooth brush. An excel or bleach dip might prove useful. Slow glowers are susceptable to algae growth. I use an excel dip and a toothbrush on my anubias about once a month and that keeps them pretty clean.

Generally you'll have GSA on your glass as well. GSA indicates that you need to increase your phosphate dosing.

GSA I assume is exactly what its called... little green spots all over the glass... I have that WICKED... what will help reduce it? phosphates... how do I add that?

i've been adding phosphate and it's helping alot but not completely. it grows on my glass but i use my magfloat for that. it's the stuff on my anubias that i'm concerned with getting off.

my nitrates are at 40ppm. based on the 1:10 P to N ratio, should i have 4ppm of P?
also, i've seen a few times around the web that the K should be 2x the N? does that sound right?

4ppm P
40ppm N
80ppm K

???

nameless poet. do you have live plants? the albums that i looked at under your profile looked all fake? i dont know about dosing anything for an unplanted tank.

ive started with some live plants now... some white ribbons and some gold ribbons... ill be adding more in les than a month after a few paychecks :D

sorry to break the news to you but those arent aquarium plants. you get them from petco?

Tim, that ratio is better if you can control your N... 1-2ppm P, 10-20ppm N, 20-40ppm K.

I think that 80ppm K (while not necessarily dangerous) would be overkill. Your plants are not going to use it that quickly. I also think 4ppm P starts to get dangerous for your fish. In your situation with the inherent high N, I would just shoot for 2ppm P and 20-40ppm K.

And yes, NamelessP, those ribbon plants are non-aquatic. They won't survive long term in your tank submerged. Eventually they will start to rot from the base up, and could potentially cause ammonia/nitrite spikes in your tank.

yup... PETCO it was :( figures... are their any plant that look like them? I LOVE the verigated look? I'll be going back and asking for my $ back thats for sure.

The easiest and cheapest way to dose Phosphate is to get some dry ferts including KH2PO4. The recommended beginning target is 1-2ppm Phosphate to 10-20ppm Nitrate. Keep in mind that this is just a starting place. I found that to get rid of GSA it worked better to have a ratio of 1ppm Phosphate to 5ppm Nitrate. Since my Nitrate was at about 20ppm, I dosed the Phosphate to 4ppm.

my N is at least 40 ppm. what do you recommend for P? i've gotten it up to 4 but its making me nervous dosing so much

Back
Top Bottom