(Hair?) algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reign

Aquarium Advice Activist
Mostly on my Italian Val but seems to have spread to the water sprite.. can't get rid of it at all. Grows on the glass too in some areas. Light on for about 8 - 10 hours. It's a 10 gallon 2x15w U CFL. Crypt parva don't wanna do anything it seems either. They slowly melt.. I just have sand substrate.

7.7 ph
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
5ppm nitrates

Hmm from my experience elevated levels of phosphate causes algae to grow. Try checking that.
I am not a freshwater plant expert so I dont know if 10 hours is too much light for a planted tank. Hope someone answers you!

Seachem flourish is supposed to get rid of algae. But, it carries a caution not to overdose. Also, I just read, somewhere in this forum 6-8 hrs of light was good and over that amount that algae sets in.

Crypt would like an enriched substrate throw some roots ferts underneath your crypts.

Seachem flourish is supposed to get rid of algae. But, it carries a caution not to overdose. Also, I just read, somewhere in this forum 6-8 hrs of light was good and over that amount that algae sets in.

I have used flourish Excel (now using Glutaraldehyde) to get rid of various algae problems when starting up a tank, It works really well. You can either spot dose the effected area (with a syringe) this can melt some plants though and is only really useful if you have algae patches not all over the tank, bit it is very quick, the algae will be dead by the next day at the latest. Or you can overdose the tank. I generally overdose starting with 2x the dose and going up to 5x if the problem persists. It is a process to take slowly though. Some people start reporting problems with minor overdosing, others like me have not had any problems with larger overdoes. I have an average amount of plants with shrimp and fish, no casualties or gasping fish.

Usually a 2x dosage for a week gets rid of the problem. Make sure you figure out the reason for the algae otherwise it will just come back. I would not want to overdose excel as a long term solution, it is a nasty chemical.

Run lighting 6 hours or do a 3 on, 2 off siesta, 3 on. Both work well at controlling algae. You can also spot treat the algae with liquid carbon or hydrogen peroxide 3%. Pull up 3ml of either in a syringe, turn off filters, slowly squirt the algae. Leave filters off 20 minutes.

Liquid carbons can be used at higher dosing amounts for extended periods with no problems. I don't recommend it with some sensitive fish and shrimp. I've run tanks for years using Glut at a 1ml to 1 or less gallons of water with excellent results. My angels and other species still spawn. Certain plants like some Vals and Anarcharis can melt due to their sensitivity to liquid carbons. Liquid carbon use in aquariums depends on things such as amount of light, bioload, amount of plants in tank, and variety of plants especially fast growing plants. There isn't a one size dose fits all when it comes to liquid carbons and even products such as Excel states on their bottles that higher amounts may be needed. When you truly overdose a liquid carbon the water clouds up shortly after adding and will clear when the liquid carbon is exhausted which is from 12 to 24 hours. Liquid carbons are best dosed daily since they do have a limited time in the tank water.

How often do you do WC's and how much do you change out? Is the tank planted? Are you using any ferts? There are many reasons that can cause algae to grow.

Also a picture for proper algae identification would be helpful.

Sorry I tried posting a picture, thanks for all the replies. I would definitely like to find out the cause or it will just keep coming back. As for the substrate I just put in small parts of seachem flourish tabs under the plants. If I get good results I'll keep doing it every month or 2

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do about a 25% water change a week now that it's cycled. I just put in 2 badis badis and 2 amano shrimp. Planted tank no ferts or co2

I'm trying to upload a picture.. hope this works..

Attachments

• IMAG0757.jpg
    IMAG0757.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 77
Checked my reading and it shows 0.. I think I'll try again for phosphate..

Checked again.. 0

Back
Top Bottom