Hair algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jodisgermanshepherd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went on vacation and Someone was suppose to b watching my tank. I have finally got all the numbers back in good ranges. I know have this hair algae spreading all over my plants.

What are some steps to take to get rid of it??

Thanks in advance,
Jodi

Attachments

• image-467576116.jpg
    image-467576116.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 80
  • image-2100660589.jpg
    image-2100660589.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 92
Im dealing with the same issue in both my tanks. I was leaving the lights on waaay too long and i knew it, but I enjoyed having the tank lit most the day. Now, Im only running my lights for a max of 6 hours a day. The hair algae has become lighter in color, which is a sign that it is dying off.

Do you have CO2 in this tank? I have found that spot treating it with flourish excel helps as well.

You can also use a toothbrush to remove it. Just stick the toothbrush in the algae and spin it like your picking up spaghetti. This works great to remove it, but I dont recommend eating it, even with meatballs.

But the main thing is to cut back on your lighting period.

2nd the lighting. When I cut my hours the bba and hair all went a week later.

Yeah, I did a big water change and brushed off all the plants. I don't have my lights in now but 6-7 hours a day. I dosed it with 3 caps of flourish I'm hoping that helps. I don't think I was fertilizing enough.

Back
Top Bottom