Have Some Questions About a Moss Wall...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianeberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am interested in setting up a moss wall in my 36 gallon tank, but I'm afraid that it will become very large and overwhelm my tank, making it feel smaller. I'm all for the planted aquarium idea to keep things natural (I never buy plastic anything). Right now I have some java ferns and other plants, and moss growing on a rock, but I want to expand and make a moss wall.

I like the looks of java moss walls, but I have never seen one in person and don't want it to overwhelm my tank. Any comments or suggestions?

One way that might work to keep the tank from feeling small is to use a side wall instead of the back wall.

I could, but I want the moss wall to replace my stupid plastic background.

Think of it this way... A built-in bookshelf goes inside a wall and takes up no space in the room, but a standard bookshelf sits against the wall and takes up space. If the room were only three feet wide and the book shelf took up one foot, it would make the room feel mighty small... This is what I don't want the moss wall to do.

Also, I have a heater, filter intake and output, and a suction cupped row of tubing going up the back of my tank... Would a moss wall even work with all of this?

ianeberle said:
I could, but I want the moss wall to replace my stupid plastic background.

Think of it this way... A built-in bookshelf goes inside a wall and takes up no space in the room, but a standard bookshelf sits against the wall and takes up space. If the room were only three feet wide and the book shelf took up one foot, it would make the room feel mighty small... This is what I don't want the moss wall to do.

Also, I have a heater, filter intake and output, and a suction cupped row of tubing going up the back of my tank... Would a moss wall even work with all of this?

Ya, but you would have to move that to the sides of the tank or cut the mesh around it.
To make takeup less space, just trim it to the length you like

I was pricing out the moss wall online and to get enough supplies for my tank, it would cost around $30 to $40. Considering I just had to buy a full hood for my tank (my rainbow shark jumped out), I don't want to spend the money on a moss wall at this time.

But I'll be all for it whenever I feel like spending the money :)

Back
Top Bottom