Help me! New to Planted Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have never kept plants before. But someone I bought a tank from gave me these. They look pretty sickly. What do I do to keep them alive and make them healthy again? I can't really change my lights, but is there anything I can do to help them until I get better lights? They're in 30 gallons with ghost shrimp, fancy guppies, Cory cats, zebra and long finned danios, a pearl gourami, mystery snails. Everything stays well fed, will they eat them?

Attachments

• image-900358679.jpg
    image-900358679.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 178
  • image-617770384.jpg
    image-617770384.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 172
jmay33 said:
I have never kept plants before. But someone I bought a tank from gave me these. They look pretty sickly. What do I do to keep them alive and make them healthy again? I can't really change my lights, but is there anything I can do to help them until I get better lights? They're in 30 gallons with ghost shrimp, fancy guppies, Cory cats, zebra and long finned danios, a pearl gourami, mystery snails. Everything stays well fed, will they eat them?

They also came with some bamboo. Knowing it wasn't truly aquatic, I gave it to someone who will keep it properly.

I got root tabs, plant food, and better lights. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help them survive! Any tips would be nice. I was planning on a planted tank but not this soon.

They should be fine! In my amateur opinion you could use the older tank water from your fishtank after water changes in the plant-only tank so the plants can feed on the nitrates :)

They should be fine! In my amateur opinion you could use the older tank water from your fishtank after water changes in the plant-only tank so the plants can feed on the nitrates :)

Awesome. Thank you! These are my first plants and they're in bad shape, so i'm trying to learn fast. Lol. I just did water changes today. Next week when I do them again should I put some over there? Or would it be okay to take just a little and put it in there?

Since I'm trying to keep up with progress, here are the plants tonight.

Attachments

• image-551850767.jpg
    image-551850767.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 160
It may take a few weeks but when the plant on the left in the last pic puts out a new leaf, go ahead and pinch off one or two of the brownish leaves with your hand or fingernails.

Also it helps to have up to 8 hours of light, any more and you may get algae (again, I'm no expert). If you have a desk lamp I would start with that myself. Also, feel free to pick up a plant next time you stop at your lfs just in case so you won't mind as much if these don't make it.

I worked at a garden shop, getting all the mangled half-alive plants for free is a really excellent way to improve your green thumb! Beware 50% of plants due off so be kind and keep trying ;)

It may take a few weeks but when the plant on the left in the last pic puts out a new leaf, go ahead and pinch off one or two of the brownish leaves with your hand or fingernails.

Also it helps to have up to 8 hours of light, any more and you may get algae (again, I'm no expert). If you have a desk lamp I would start with that myself. Also, feel free to pick up a plant next time you stop at your lfs just in case so you won't mind as much if these don't make it.

I worked at a garden shop, getting all the mangled half-alive plants for free is a really excellent way to improve your green thumb! Beware 50% of plants due off so be kind and keep trying ;)

I, against my best judgement, put a Betta in the tank with them. Maybe they will have some nitrates to feed on. :)

I also took your advice on adding other plants. I just planted some bulbs that are guaranteed growth. Really looking forward to them sprouting!!

I am determined to have a planted tank, so I will not stop trying :) thank you for all of your advice!!! Btw, I have something weird growing in one of my non-planted tanks. Any insight on what it might be would be great!

Attachments

• image-147960290.jpg
    image-147960290.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 130
Huh groovy, looks like a sprout. If it stays green you could pull it out and pop it in a pot of dirt. Unlikely to become an aquatic plant but who knows?

FYI I bought a pack of mixed bulbs at petsmart and only the onion bulbs worked out, the rest got stinky and slimey, so keep an eye on them for any type of gooey substance. I planted those bulbs in gravel in little cups before putting them in with fish. The onion plants are still alive months later :)

Edit: your judgement was right Betta fish are good with plants, I've never heard about Bettas uprooting or eating plants like some fish will

Huh groovy, looks like a sprout. If it stays green you could pull it out and pop it in a pot of dirt. Unlikely to become an aquatic plant but who knows?

FYI I bought a pack of mixed bulbs at petsmart and only the onion bulbs worked out, the rest got stinky and slimey, so keep an eye on them for any type of gooey substance. I planted those bulbs in gravel in little cups before putting them in with fish. The onion plants are still alive months later :)

Edit: your judgement was right Betta fish are good with plants, I've never heard about Bettas uprooting or eating plants like some fish will

That's awesome! I actually have an empty pot I have been meaning to fill. :) it does not look like an aquatic one to me, but I know nothing about that yet!

So if they're slimy does that mean they are not aquatic and will rot? Thanks for the heads up! I wouldn't have known.

Thanks! I'm glad. He's a fun little guy and I was so glad to be able to give him 10 gallons to live in. I think poor bettas are misunderstood. The bulbs are planted in an open spot behind the rock formation. :)

Attachments

• image-2946727959.jpg
    image-2946727959.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 118
That all should work.

See if your lfs has some long stem plants Anacharis/
Elodea, Rotala. The Betta will appreciate some nice resting places so even a Silk plant, or something with cup shaped leaves which are soft and not pointy to snag/catch his fins.

With the loose stems, you can just lay them across the top of the water and let them float there, the Betta will rest in the crooks or loops.

Banana plants are great and their leaves are shaped just right for resting. After they grow a few longer ones the Betta will sit right in the top of the leaf like a Betta hammock.

Most of the big box and some lfs have plants in plastic tubes, the ones I have bought did well.

When you go to buy plants, look for only ones which are fresh and healthy looking, as it it so much work in aquaria to get sick ones healthy as a beginner and not sure of your lights ability . Dying plant matter can foul your water and be a huge pain to finally clean out, just a heads up.

Planted tanks are the best and help give your fish a better life too.

The bulbs may get a little slippery feeling and possibly soft, but should not get mushy. If so they are indeed rotting. The old tank water is very good for the plants.

Did anyone mention liquid Flourish or Aqueon plant ferts? Just a few drops as listed on the bottle. My Aqueon ones worked fine and I had bought it since it was on sale MUCH less than the other one, but this time I got Flourish. They seem similar.

Happy plant keeping!

That all should work.

See if your lfs has some long stem plants Anacharis/
Elodea, Rotala. The Betta will appreciate some nice resting places so even a Silk plant, or something with cup shaped leaves which are soft and not pointy to snag/catch his fins.

With the loose stems, you can just lay them across the top of the water and let them float there, the Betta will rest in the crooks or loops.

Banana plants are great and their leaves are shaped just right for resting. After they grow a few longer ones the Betta will sit right in the top of the leaf like a Betta hammock.

Most of the big box and some lfs have plants in plastic tubes, the ones I have bought did well.

When you go to buy plants, look for only ones which are fresh and healthy looking, as it it so much work in aquaria to get sick ones healthy as a beginner and not sure of your lights ability . Dying plant matter can foul your water and be a huge pain to finally clean out, just a heads up.

Planted tanks are the best and help give your fish a better life too.

The bulbs may get a little slippery feeling and possibly soft, but should not get mushy. If so they are indeed rotting. The old tank water is very good for the plants.

Did anyone mention liquid Flourish or Aqueon plant ferts? Just a few drops as listed on the bottle. My Aqueon ones worked fine and I had bought it since it was on sale MUCH less than the other one, but this time I got Flourish. They seem similar.

Happy plant keeping!

Cool. Thanks! I thought those plants may not be fully aquatic and I didn't want to go down that road. Someone has mentioned the flourish. I don't have that yet. Right now I have Seachems root tabs, API plant food (leaf zone,) and API co2 booster. The flourish is fertilizer?

The tubes mostly now say what they are, semi-aquatic, aquatic, it wouldn't hurt to see what is available, then go home and research and when you are decided then go back and buy.

Bamboo, ribbon plant, not for under water, peacock fern, mondo grass- these are semi aquatic.

They aren't very good at knowing light requirements and sizes they get either at the big box pet supply stores.

The Leaf Zone is pretty much the same as the other two I mentioned. Read the ingredients on the lists to compare them, they are all liquid fertilizers.

The tubes mostly now say what they are, semi-aquatic, aquatic, it wouldn't hurt to see what is available, then go home and research and when you are decided then go back and buy.

Bamboo, ribbon plant, not for under water, peacock fern, mondo grass- these are semi aquatic.

They aren't very good at knowing light requirements and sizes they get either at the big box pet supply stores.

The Leaf Zone is pretty much the same as the other two I mentioned. Read the ingredients on the lists to compare them, they are all liquid fertilizers.

Great. Thank you so much. Since this is my first go round with the plants, I bought the smallest of everything in case something wasn't the best. My lighting is pretty simple. It's a standard 10g light hood with 2 15watt fluorescent light bulbs. I know this limits me. What would you suggest?

Anubias! They are hardy in my opinion, they grow relatively fast and are not as delicate when being handled compared to the other "easy" plants I've tried. I like the look kinda like a tropical plant like "philodendron", another super easy houseplant I love.

Great. Thank you so much. Since this is my first go round with the plants, I bought the smallest of everything in case something wasn't the best. My lighting is pretty simple. It's a standard 10g light hood with 2 15watt fluorescent light bulbs. I know this limits me. What would you suggest?

I would check out which kind of fluorescent is in there. It may be suited to a planted tank already.

Consider a Floramax, specific spectrum for plants. You could trade out one to start.

Thank you guys!! I really appreciate all of the advice! I attached a picture. I would like to think they're looking a little better? Is should I pinch the brown off of the plant in the front?

Edit:Also, with the liquid co2 booster, root tabs, and fert, is it okay to put my hands in the tank?

Attachments

• image-601659061.jpg
    image-601659061.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 67
Well. The one is the back (anacharis?) is looking pretty good. There is still hope for the mystery shrub, it's still kinda green. I give it 50/50.

Yeah I put my hands in my tanks, but I rinse without soap for like 3 minutes before I do. Not so worried about the products in the water, although I'm finicky about the liquid test kit chemicals. They are likely safe too.

Well. The one is the back (anacharis?) is looking pretty good. There is still hope for the mystery shrub, it's still kinda green. I give it 50/50.

Yeah I put my hands in my tanks, but I rinse without soap for like 3 minutes before I do. Not so worried about the products in the water, although I'm finicky about the liquid test kit chemicals. They are likely safe too.

Okay. Thank you! I was worried about it. Would putting more plants in benefit my other plants? I'm officially calling the one in the back as the anacharis. Everything about it says that is what it is. :) I'm optimistic about that one. As far as the mystery shrub goes, is there anything that could be picked off that would help it?

Back
Top Bottom