Help me! New to Planted Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking good!!

Thank you!! :)

This is what my mystery sword looks like to date. :) I'm so proud of it! Anyone know what it might be now that it has leaves? It is growing from a bulb. :)

Whoops. Here's the picture! Sorry!

img_2272361_0_c8ba33592d82b0d15be398acc6fb6720.jpg

Looks like an amazon sward...didn't know that they can be bulbs! Will upload pics of my amazon swards a little later...

Looks like an amazon sward...didn't know that they can be bulbs! Will upload pics of my amazon swards a little later...

Cool, thanks. That's what I have been thinking but the bulb threw me off. Lol.

Could it have been a rizhome not bulb?

Not sure. I am not sure what a rizhome is? It was hard and round like a bulb though.

This popped up in my tank over night. :( I changed the substrate this weekend. Rinsed the sand and then put it in. What could be causing it and what can I do? What is it?

img_2272964_0_9bc2f4c09b6d58e3fa384aa988e6ce20.jpg

img_2272964_1_fa5af530b0b3de87ad9ef27be171cf43.jpg

Hoping this will help ID the mystery plant. I cleaned the dead leaves off. It looks healthy. :)

Well would you look at that! I see a Sword!

The white stuff looks like rot. Not sure though. Maybe just a stray root snapped off below the surface. Maybe

Well would you look at that! I see a Sword!

The white stuff looks like rot. Not sure though. Maybe just a stray root snapped off below the surface. Maybe

Thanks! :)

Can I just scoop it off of the substrate until it stops coming back?

Or try hitting it with hydrogen peroxide. Not sure if it will kill it though.

Looks like fungus. I don't have experience with this type, Excel spot treating.

I would scoop off the big stuff and then spot treat. Maybe hydrogen peroxide the part you take of and rub the granules of sand together to wash off. then rinse well. Add it back in if you are short on sand but toss if you have plenty.

Thanks guys! How dangerous is the hydrogen peroxide to my Betta? It may be worth being short some sand for a couple days.

Do a google search but I think it's safe a 5ml per ten gallons. Excel works great on algae too

I scooped it out. :) I've moved all of my plants to this tank. They're happy! I also just got the seachems excel in the mail. :) I've always used API. Excited to see if there will be any change in growth rate. I'm still alternating API plant food and seachems nourish. Seachems root tabs in the gravel.

img_2296851_0_2d744274d1e55f65a70c3af0fa8fa950.jpg

Hi, I just read this thread. Your tanks looks nice with the black sand! If you are interested in having a dirted tank in the future look into the Walstad Method. The book by DIana Walstad is a tough read but its interesting and gives you a lot of science to think about!

About the bulbs, if you save the receipt and packaging you can send them back once they dry back out and they company should send new ones. I have better luck with Petco brand bulbs actually. Sometimes I have gotten lucky and found some that were sprouting in the package already and those did very well for me.

Best wishes with your tank and your plant adventures!

Hi, I just read this thread. Your tanks looks nice with the black sand! If you are interested in having a dirted tank in the future look into the Walstad Method. The book by DIana Walstad is a tough read but its interesting and gives you a lot of science to think about!

About the bulbs, if you save the receipt and packaging you can send them back once they dry back out and they company should send new ones. I have better luck with Petco brand bulbs actually. Sometimes I have gotten lucky and found some that were sprouting in the package already and those did very well for me.

Best wishes with your tank and your plant adventures!

Awesome! Thanks! I love science and love a good read. :) thank you for the compliments! I thought about sending the bulbs back, but I'm so busy these days that I'm not sure it's worth my time! Lol. They were only $1.50 anyhow. Thank you!! You are subscribed now, so you should get my plant updates. :) I post them all here.

My 5 gallon needs a lot of work. Dead leaves and I put some plants in there temporarily, but I've decided I need to aqua scape because they're going to stay in there. :) I'm infatuated with the 3 gallon half moon tank, though. :) my male Betta sure loves his wisteria! here are videos.

3 gallon halfmoon tank with male Betta:

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums...1-A3FE-8D8CA14592AE-7977-000008F5622F2A43.mp4

5 gallon with male halfmoon Betta:

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums...F-A63F-84EA5AC6F0F4-7977-000008F59D6C7FC6.mp4

Also, tonight we are picking names for the Bettas! The halfmoon is Raider Red. (Wreck 'em Tech!) I'll let you know the name on my other male Betta. :)

Back
Top Bottom