Help me! New to Planted Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm don't know. I believe they are brackish and need a species only tank. But don't quote me on that.

Hmm don't know. I believe they are brackish and need a species only tank. But don't quote me on that.

Thank you! I have heard that they need a species only tank and I've heard places say fw and some say bw. I have a 10 gallon that's cycling that I was thinking about putting them in(2 of them.) it will be planted, of course. Any suggestions on stocking would be great! I want something very lightly stocked. Last resort is a betta(which I love, but I'm looking for something different, as I have a couple of Betta tanks already.)

Does Eco-complete have to be capped with something?

I just put mine in and is says specifically NOT to cap and if you are adding something with it then you need to mix it into the Eco. Referring to the issue of absorbing nutrients and aerobic activity.

Awesome. Thank you. I love the natural look of it but I've only heard of it being capped for some reason. Haha. Are root tabs necessary with Eco complete?

It is new to me too.

I will be using root tabs with mine, and also some liquid ferts as well. First though I will be seeing how everything does and adding them as things need it.

The way I see it, its like a new garden that you put in with compost and rich soil, at first it is awesome but you still need to watch things and see what the plants need and supplement as required for maximum results. Some plants will have higher requirements for nutrients than others. Like Swords. I have been using Ferka Stemma and ran out, it is sometimes hard to find online, but I just got my order for Stemma and now Rosetta. For stem plants and rosette leaved plants.

Also the lighting has some to do with it too. Now my light is low but I am upgrading to a medium or medium high light addition, haven't had time to get as much on the specifics for my tank.

The higher PAR/light available for the plants the more they want to grow and need ferts, then it its a high light you can use co2, but also need more ferts to keep up with the light.

It is new to me too.

I will be using root tabs with mine, and also some liquid ferts as well. First though I will be seeing how everything does and adding them as things need it.

The way I see it, its like a new garden that you put in with compost and rich soil, at first it is awesome but you still need to watch things and see what the plants need and supplement as required for maximum results. Some plants will have higher requirements for nutrients than others. Like Swords. I have been using Ferka Stemma and ran out, it is sometimes hard to find online, but I just got my order for Stemma and now Rosetta. For stem plants and rosette leaved plants.

Also the lighting has some to do with it too. Now my light is low but I am upgrading to a medium or medium high light addition, haven't had time to get as much on the specifics for my tank.

The higher PAR/light available for the plants the more they want to grow and need ferts, then it its a high light you can use co2, but also need more ferts to keep up with the light.

Thanks for all of the great info! I'm working on a plan for 29 gallon planted tank. That's where the questions came from. I'm taking my time to plan this because I want it to be good.

I need some help deciding. I'm still working on planning my bigger planted tank. I'm stumped thinking about whether to do a 40 gallon breeder or a 29 gallon bio cube. I want to be able to keep high light plants, is that possible in the cube?

If you want higher light plants, the 40 breeder is good as you would be able to have pretty high light since it isn't too deep therefore could spend less money as you don't have to get the light as deep. Plus more room for faster growing plants, plants in general and fish!!! Easy to reach everything inside the tank and lots of glass to get a great view. I believe 36" wide. This one would get my vote - more room!!!

Drawback would be not as high (tall) as other tanks so maybe have to pick a little more carefully plants which don't necessarily grow like very long weeds. Otherwise you could be trimming every week.

If you want higher light plants, the 40 breeder is good as you would be able to have pretty high light since it isn't too deep therefore could spend less money as you don't have to get the light as deep. Plus more room for faster growing plants, plants in general and fish!!! Easy to reach everything inside the tank and lots of glass to get a great view. I believe 36" wide. This one would get my vote - more room!!!

Drawback would be not as high (tall) as other tanks so maybe have to pick a little more carefully plants which don't necessarily grow like very long weeds. Otherwise you could be trimming every week.

Thank you. :) I was leaning towards that. I've just wanted a biocube for forever. Maybe this just isn't the right tank for it. :)

Yeah I know what you mean, I am playing musical tanks right now. Trading off what I don't need for what I do!

That's what I've been doing! I'm trying to get down to 3 tanks but it's soooo difficult.

Back
Top Bottom