Help with identifying, cyano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquasplit

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I would greatly appreciate your help with identifying this web / mist - like structure. It just showed up several days ago on the stones and it is constantly getting bigger.

Is it some kind of cyanobacteria? My tank is just a week in cycling process.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416352710458.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416352710458.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 81
Fatboyfish is correct. The stuff is harmless, albeit unsightly. You'll often see it on new driftwood additions to a tank as well. I've found that if you try to wash or pick it off, it will grow right back - just have to let it run its course.

Last edited:
Don't believe it's cyano&is sometimes experienced with new tanks during cycling..it wouldn't hurt to take em out&give em a scrub with treated/tank water..if left alone it should go away on its own in a few days..

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

You could remove and use a bleach water mix scrub items it will kill fungus after clean and wash with plain water and rescrub then would be fine to reput in to tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Had a rock and a piece of wood that did that I did the bleach water scrub and never came back

Tea spoon of bleach to cup of water mix sorry left that out then rinse and rescrub with just plenty of water running over it

I've never tried the bleaching method, all I would have to say is be careful. Bleach kills the good bacteria that you're trying to grow for your biofilter, so if you do go the bleach route, rinse those rocks like you've never rinsed before.

You have enough bio throughout tank cleaning a rock ain't going to make a difference

thank you for advices everyone, I think I will leave it stay like this until it goes away by itself.. if it isn't dangerous, than it might as well be another piece of decoration in my new tank ^_^

You have enough bio throughout tank cleaning a rock ain't going to make a difference .

I've never tried the bleaching method, all I would have to say is be careful. Bleach kills the good bacteria that you're trying to grow for your biofilter, so if you do go the bleach route, rinse those rocks like you've never rinsed before.

I believe what Bud29 is saying is to make sure the rocks are free from any residule bleach from treatment..looks to me like you have lava rocks there which are extremely porous,I'd advise against the bleach cleaning for fear of contaminating the tank..just my opinion,better to be safe than sorry...might just give a scrub in water alone&boil for 15-20g mins..I don't give advice&consider it to be the gospel..just my educated opinion&would feel awful making a suggestion to another aquarist that could result in devastation of one's joy& hard work..Just saying

I understand I wouldn't sudjest something that I don't know the rock I had myself was a lava rock also I wouldn't sudjest something that I myself wasn't comfortable with. Been in aquariums for many years not no noob at all not saying I know all at all just say my experience that's all

I understand I wouldn't sudjest something that I don't know the rock I had myself was a lava rock also I wouldn't sudjest something that I myself wasn't comfortable with. Been in aquariums for many years not no noob at all not saying I know all at all just say my experience that's all

It's cool,not trying to attack your suggestions...

Didn't say you did friend just backing what I know that's all

I've bleached a lot. More important than rinsing a lot is treating it with a huge dose of dechlorinator, IME. Rinsing alone won't cut it.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom