How can I stop my schools from breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktomminello

Aquarium Advice Addict
My overcrowded 5.5g heavily planted tank is full of fish that are spawning while they chase other spawning fish around eating their eggs. Normally I wouldn't be complaining about the free food source, but I am kind of worried about having to clear my filters every day of eggs and fry.

I am currently running a generic HOB that filters at a rate of 70gph, a modified internal filter rated for up to 10g and a Penn plax discard a filter on an adjustable rate air pump for filtration. I'm using 1 desk lamp and one clamp light running 50/50 cfl 10 hours a day along with 5 hours of natural diffused daylight for lighting. I change out a little over a gallon of water per day using a siphon to remove solid waste and keep organics in check. Fertilizers include seachem flourish tabs, API root tabs and iron supplemented substrate base for root ferts, along with seachem flourish liquid added every other day and aquvitro propel and envy every 2 weeks. I do not use CO2.

My stock list, as follows, is completely insane- I whole heartedly agree, but I have had this tank running for almost a year with the final occupants being added 6 months ago and have yet to have a single fish die or show signs of stress, so I haven't put too much thought into changing anything until now.
Fish- 3 panda cory, 4 otocinclus vittatus, 5 glowlight tetra, 7 true rummynose tetra.
Plants- bacopa caroliniana, rotala indica, ludwiga ovalis, rotala wallichii, aponogeton ulvaceaus, anubias nana var petit, anubias affzellii, dwarf hairgrass, downoi, java fern- narrowleaf, tropica, windelov and taiwan, nymphaea sp red tiger, java moss, monosollenium tenerum, echinodorus orientalis, cryptocoryne walkerii var lutea, cryptocoryne undulata var red, cryptocoryne wendtii var tropica and cyprus helferi.

My water parameters are stable with a ph of 6.6/ 6.7, 0 ammo, 0 trites and trate reading at 0, but I know it's probably wrong. I need to get another master test kit but I haven't had the time so I used a 3 in one test strip for the ammo/trites/trates.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I tried to post a pic of the tank but I'm over my limit.

Link below is a pic of 2 of my original mass breeding offenders

I don't know how to stop them breeding but you really need a large tank.

Like at least 20 gallons.

You can always try and sell some of the fry or trade to a lfs. But there really isn't anything you can do to really keep them from breeding that I know of

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for your replies. I was dreading that answer, lol. I do have a 20g almost ready to go, but the more research I did the more I realised that I had over looked the breeding parameters for my Amazon inspired community because I had never intended on breeding. Oh well, daily cleanings it is- if they are that happy then I am not going to ruin the wonderful show. I am, however, curious on how to raise panda cory fry as I would love to keep a school of at least 8 in my 20g.

Well if you have a "normal" intake for a non sponge bottom filter you can always take panty hose and put it over the intake. It shouldn't hinder the water but it should help keeps eggs and fry from being sucked up

With our guppys we don't move the pregnant ones/fry. We kinda let nature take its course. We are fairly heavily planted. Our first two batches of fry only 1 made it from each batch. Next batch we had two make it. (Plants had established themselves) currently we have 3 batches of fry. The first two of those look like they're almost good to go and not be eaten. The smaller might be at risk- but from those 3 I counted 11 remaining fry.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom