how to make a bonsai tree crown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A1720

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, everyone
I've got a small driftwood like a tree with a few long branches. I plan to turn it to a bonsai tree in my aquarium. I like large tree crown instead of long branches and I like fissidens fontanus. But I don't know how to make a large tree crown with fissidens fontanus on my small driftwood. Could anyone give me some advice?
Many thanks.

Attachments

• small driftwood.jpg
    small driftwood.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 224
I used green scotch scrubbing pads and glued the moss to them. I did individual branches but if you get a pad large enough it should work for a full top like you are wanting. You can cut and stack the pads in a pyramid shape to get a more rounded top.Other then this I see people glue straight to the tree or use stainless steel mesh.

I used green scotch scrubbing pads and glued the moss to them. I did individual branches but if you get a pad large enough it should work for a full top like you are wanting. You can cut and stack the pads in a pyramid shape to get a more rounded top.Other then this I see people glue straight to the tree or use stainless steel mesh.

Thanks goatnad, I'll follow your suggestion and wish I could share photos of a blooming fissidens fontanus tree crown a few months later. Many thanks.

Goatnad - I thought of using these pads but wasn't sure if they had anti mildew chemicals in them so have held off using them so far. It's hard to find *green* things that are aquarium friendly to use as a base for building things.

Goatnad - I thought of using these pads but wasn't sure if they had anti mildew chemicals in them so have held off using them so far. It's hard to find *green* things that are aquarium friendly to use as a base for building things.

Thanks Earhtmother,
So, for safety, I may use stainless steel mesh instead. I may bend a mesh in a bowl shape and put it upside down on my driftwood. But I wonder if fissidens fontanus can thrive on stainless steel like that on driftwood. I have no such experience.

Back
Top Bottom