I want a planted tank, help me plan it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dont know if I am going to do crypts, dont really like the red look. I am not planning on having cories or kuhlies either. Here is what im planning on stocking. Not sure if I will do live bearers because I dont have any intentions in raising the fry. More protein for the other fish is what they would turn into.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1413484758832.jpg
    1413484758832.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 33
Dont know if I am going to do crypts, dont really like the red look. I am not planning on having cories or kuhlies either. Here is what im planning on stocking. Not sure if I will do live bearers because I dont have any intentions in raising the fry. More protein for the other fish is what they would turn into.

Crypts ...the "red look" ...what red look ???? There are a bazillion Crypts and most are green.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That was grown on land. Most people pay extra for red plants and most won't get red without perfect lighting.

Just get Crypt lutes instead http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-plants/cryptocoryne-lutea.html

Or Crypt wendtii " Mi Oya"

There are a ton of Crypts. Most will never be red and the ones that are known for red, typically take more light to get red.

I have crypt wendtii red and at best they have streaks of brownish brick red coloration. But they are mostly green. Roots tabs (occasionally), no water column ferts, and low light...the easiest plant I grown.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How many 20 pound bags of eco complete would I need for a depth of 3 inchs? I will not be keeping any of the gravel in the tank.

Corsair you said that to start you do not plant java fern and anubias. Would I just lay them upright on top of the substrate then?

Ok, the cotton thread disintegrates after the plants have time to establish themselves then?

Ok. Im making a list of everything going into the tank. How many java ferns and Anubias should I add to start with?

Ok. Im making a list of everything going into the tank. How many java ferns and Anubias should I add to start with?

That's up to you. If you want to just try it out, you could get 2 or 3 of each. Or get different varieties.

You can try buying on here or join The Planted Tank for free and using the web view you can buy plants from hobbyists. Or you can see if you have a local club. I get most of my plants free from club members.

Thank you! 60 pounds needed for 3 inches or eco complete. I moght add crypts later when i feel more comfortable with lives. Probably just java fern and anubiasto start off with.

I have a 20g long which has the same footprint as the 29g and two 20# bags of EC was plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom