I want a planted tank, help me plan it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is everything. Im hoping that early next week I can add the live plants, and the following week FISH! :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1413404634348.jpg
    1413404634348.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 1413404657067.jpg
    1413404657067.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 67
I have a HOB filter and am adding a Marineland Penguin 350B will the current from those 2 filters affect my plants?

Having good flow is typically preferable for a planted tank. As long as your plants aren't being blown around then it's fine. You can always direct the flow if needed or baffle the flow to soften it.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So like this? The filter output is on the left side. Shorter plants where the output is and taller ones on the opposite side of the tank?

Attachments

• 1413405756138.jpg
    1413405756138.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 74
Question time! I have my gravel substrate right now. I remember seeing something about special plant substrate. Could I remove all the gravel, add 1 bag of this plant stuff, amd then put the gravel back on top of it? Second question-Would an Aqueon T8 25W bulb work for plants? Link for light- http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=fis...d36-16448/cat-36-catid-300073?var_id=36-16448 Question 3-what are some good basic plants that are low maintenance and do not require Co2? Question 4- would fish poop provide some fertilizer? Question 5-What are rooot tabs and are they necessary if I am not running Co2? That should cover some basics. :)

1. If you're going to change out the substrate you might as well change out all of it. Adding gravel on top means the gravel and the plant substrate are going to migrate and you're going to end up with very spotty look anyway.

I would just pick a nice substrate in a color you like and go with that. You can use for floraMax or another planted substrate. Or you can use a nice colored sand and root tabs for the plants , which is what I have.

2. A T8 bulb is extremely low light. You can grow some plants under that. You would be limited in your choices to things like Java ferns and Anubias, which are nice plants and some of the easiest to grow. But you would have to change out your light if you want to grow much else.

3. Java Ferns
Anubias
Crypts
Moss Balls

4. Fish poop will provide some fertilizer but not enough. Plan to add fertilizer at least once a week after water changes and root tabs every 4 months or so if you plan to try Crypts.

You can start with Seachem flourish comprehensive and API leave Zone if you want to start with liquid ferts, later on it will be cheaper to go with dry fertilizers. Don't fear the fertilizers they aren't scary.

5. Root Tabs are for heavy root feeders like Crypts and Swords. They are necessary if you want those type of plants.

CO2 increases plant growth, but you need to balance light and ferts or it won't help.

I run low light low tech tanks. I use liquid carbon boosters like Glut or Excel but I have small tanks.

If I replace the fixture amd go with the dual T5 NO or HO would I need to replace my hood? Ill post a picture of my hood after I post this

You need to check the stats on your hood it will tell you how high wattage you can go you probably will need to change your hood because I doubt it can handle high output or dual T 5s.

I think upgrading your light is a good idea just don't go too crazy. Don't go so high light that you have to add CO2.

There are other people on here that are more expert on proper lighting for your size of tank.

1. If you're going to change out the substrate you might as well change out all of it. Adding gravel on top means the gravel and the plant substrate are going to migrate and you're going to end up with very spotty look anyway.

I would just pick a nice substrate in a color you like and go with that. You can use for floraMax or another planted substrate. Or you can use a nice colored sand and root tabs for the plants , which is what I have.

2. A T8 bulb is extremely low light. You can grow some plants under that. You would be limited in your choices to things like Java ferns and Anubias, which are nice plants and some of the easiest to grow. But you would have to change out your light if you want to grow much else.

3. Java Ferns
Anubias
Crypts
Moss Balls

4. Fish poop will provide some fertilizer but not enough. Plan to add fertilizer at least once a week after water changes and root tabs every 4 months or so if you plan to try Crypts.

You can start with Seachem flourish comprehensive and API leave Zone if you want to start with liquid ferts, later on it will be cheaper to go with dry fertilizers. Don't fear the fertilizers they aren't scary.

5. Root Tabs are for heavy root feeders like Crypts and Swords. They are necessary if you want those type of plants.

CO2 increases plant growth, but you need to balance light and ferts or it won't help.

I run low light low tech tanks. I use liquid carbon boosters like Glut or Excel but I have small tanks.

I see that anacharis and hornwort have been suggested also? Will these work with the dual T5s eirher NO or HO?

Anacharis will grow under low light. Super high light means you might have to put it under other plants to shade it. Hornwort is kind of like a weed ,growing in many conditions.

Thanks Coursair. Really helps having people that know what they are doing!

I have the same issue with lighting and am probably going with a finnex, they have great ratings and feedback on amazon. Someone on here recommended it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=fis...6-16525/cat-36-catid-300074?var_id=36-16525#a what about thos one? And is this just replacing the part my bulb hooks up to?

Normally this would replace your entire hood. I suppose you could rest the lights without the leg mounts directly onto you existing hood, but it might get too hot. The model featured here is a dual T5 HO fixture and they can get toasty. Plus, you'd have to replace the bulbs in a year so it will end up costing more down the road. As snorlin suggested, go with the 30" Finnex planted+. It should sit right where your existing light it (on the hood). I'm thinking the Finnex Fugeray might be a little weak with the height of a 29g.

I might have to go down to the 24" model. Pictures following

3rd picture is the outside of my hood I think. Measurement is 28". Last picture is of my fixture. Its 24 inches long.

Attachments

• 1413423432221.jpg
    1413423432221.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 1413423447942.jpg
    1413423447942.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 1413423460261.jpg
    1413423460261.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 1413423484540.jpg
    1413423484540.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 52
The 24" model is $73 on AquaCave...planted tanks are expensive! Although it is an LED fixture. All of this equipment money for small fish... where did I go wrong? Lol

The 24" model is $73 on AquaCave...planted tanks are expensive! Although it is an LED fixture. All of this equipment money for small fish... where did I go wrong? Lol

You will want to get the 30". I have a 20g long and it has the same foot print as the 29g. If you are not placing it directly on a glass canopy then there would be no way to mount a 24" Finnex fixture on a 30" tank. The legs has some play width wise but they are not the telescoping type. Besides, with the 24" you will get dark corners.

You can start off with your current fixture. Just do Anubias and Java Ferns. You can always upgrade light later.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, I will just do that so I can 'wet my feet' with live plants. If I use eco complete do I still need root tabs? How deep should I have it, 3-4 inches?

I would say 3" is fine. Mine are all around 2-2.5" because my tanks are small. Eco Complete is good. You'll still need root tabs IMHO. Even "Plant" substrates run out of nutrition. But if you are starting with Anubias and Javas you don't plant them, so roots are above substrate. If you want Crypts, then yes you do want Root Tabs.

Back
Top Bottom