I want a planted tank, help me plan it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
Starting to look into a planted tank for my 29 gal. I am sure if you don't think of a question I probably will! I am tired of the plastic plants, and am looking for something new when I restock the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on having lots of little fish (different tetras, mollies, shrimp, and otocinclus) and really basic plants that are not too difficult to keep.

This thread is going to be answering lots of newb questions. Lol

I have a HOB filter and am adding a Marineland Penguin 350B will the current from those 2 filters affect my plants?

I have a HOB filter and am adding a Marineland Penguin 350B will the current from those 2 filters affect my plants?

I wouldn't really think so. You can always ad a piece of bulk filter into the outflow of the HOB to spread and slow the turbulence.

Ok. I can turn the flow down too. Wednesday I have off of school so I might go and look at the marineland and see if petsmart has all the fish I want.

So maybe I am going right now...had to run to a store across the street so ill stop in afterwards.

My petsmart has all the fish on my stocking list so thats nice. They had 5 ghost shrimp though so hopefully they can get some more before I set up the tank.

This is what I want to have. Need to check the aggression on the dwarf gourami and if I can have more otocinclus, didn't realize how small they are!

Attachments

• 1413240488621.jpg
    1413240488621.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 99
There is my tank now. I just added the airstones amd changed the fake greenery around thats why its so cloudy. The only natural thing in here is the fish amd some of the big rocks. I want to replace all the fake plants with real ones, and the rock work will decrease then.

Attachments

• 1413245193467.jpg
    1413245193467.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 122
Question time! I have my gravel substrate right now. I remember seeing something about special plant substrate. Could I remove all the gravel, add 1 bag of this plant stuff, amd then put the gravel back on top of it? Second question-Would an Aqueon T8 25W bulb work for plants? Link for light- http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=fis...d36-16448/cat-36-catid-300073?var_id=36-16448 Question 3-what are some good basic plants that are low maintenance and do not require Co2? Question 4- would fish poop provide some fertilizer? Question 5-What are rooot tabs and are they necessary if I am not running Co2? That should cover some basics. :)

CaribSea Flora Max Planted Aquarium Substrate thats the link for the plant specific substrate. I would add a inch or so of that material on the aquarium and then add the gravel on top. Should the roots be laid on the plant substrate and then covered with gravel?

How many inches of gravel do you have now, I would think you need a couple inches to make it worth your while. As I understand it you really need to do a lot of rinsing on that.

Have you looked at Eco-Complete?

I only read the top but I would recommend Java Fern it provides hiding is hardy and can be in a tank with most cichlids and Amazon sword it can't live with cichlids but the leaves will not dry outside water I think Java fern is the same but I'm not 100%

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I'm interested in starting a planted tank, commenting to subscribe :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How many inches of gravel do you have now, I would think you need a couple inches to make it worth your while. As I understand it you really need to do a lot of rinsing on that.

Have you looked at Eco-Complete?

I have anout 4 inches of gravel right now. When I put it back in I wouldn't use as much because of the added plant substrate. the Eco-Complete sounds familiar too.

How hardy is Anacharis? I have a fake one right now and a some real ones wouldn't look to bad I think.

Question time! I have my gravel substrate right now. I remember seeing something about special plant substrate. Could I remove all the gravel, add 1 bag of this plant stuff, amd then put the gravel back on top of it? Second question-Would an Aqueon T8 25W bulb work for plants? Link for light- http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=fis...d36-16448/cat-36-catid-300073?var_id=36-16448 Question 3-what are some good basic plants that are low maintenance and do not require Co2? Question 4- would fish poop provide some fertilizer? Question 5-What are rooot tabs and are they necessary if I am not running Co2? That should cover some basics. :)

1. Yes you could. If you are using EcoComplete then no rinsing is needed. I like the color of the black EcoComplete so I don't cover (or cap) it. Floramax on the other hand will require rinsing.
2. That light would only work for very low to low light plants at best. I would not recommend it. There are some low cost dual T5 HO (high output) and NO (normal output) fixtures available online. LEDs by Finnex are what I use on my planted tank. There are quite a few LED fixtures on the market; some are good for plants and others are good for viewing you fish only.
3. Anubias, java fern, java moss, Cryptocoryne, anacharis, hornwort
4. Yes
5. Basically plant fertilizer in tablet form. Used for feeding the plant roots. Has nothing to do with CO2.
Successful plant growth depends on the balance between three factors: light, fertilizers, and a carbon source. If these get out of balance, then it may result in poor plant growth and/or excessive algae. A carbon source can be in the form of CO2 or Glutaraldehyde (ingredient in products like API CO2 Booster and Seachem Flourish Excel). Low lighting can get by without additional ferts and CO2. As lighting increases, then ferts and CO2 must be increased as well. I have a shallow shrimp tank full of moss and crypts; a dual T5 NO and no ferts or CO2 provided. I also have a high tech planted tank that requires daily ferts and CO2 on a timer.
Here is a link to articles with LOTS of plant info. I recommend reading these: Articles to Help with the Planted Tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If I replace the fixture amd go with the dual T5 NO or HO would I need to replace my hood? Ill post a picture of my hood after I post this

Back
Top Bottom