jays 275 cube Fw planted tank progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nerite eggs are easy to remove but it's easier to let them dissolve and fall off. It usually happens in a couple weeks on glass and DW. For some reason they last longer on plants before dissolving and I've never quite figured out why. Also alot will depend on how many females. Mine lay very little and I often wonder if it's because I use a high dose of liquid carbon daily and I have around 40 in my 220g.

So iv removed some of the front plant and still waiting for my nerate snails
It to cold to post here at the mo I'm letting me tank get a little dirty just so I can see what they can to LOL
ForumRunner_20130125_211648.jpg

One of my angels died today he was the smallest one by a lot I could have cryed I checked my water nitrates where a little high at 40ppm but that because of be doing lots of water change lately and my water has,high nitrates in it but the tank will bring the down its self I lost a small neon about 3 days to but I thought it was down to age what could be going wrong I am so so gutted

Those nitrates are actually too high and the plants can only use so much. Have you thought about using RO water to cut your tap water nitrates down when doing WC's? What is your tap nitrates? Honestly the nitrates could have been part of the issue but sometimes some fish just don't flourish and it has nothing to do with the care we give them. They just aren't genetically strong fish.

Hmmm...my nitrates are NEVER above 0. Even when i dose straight up NO3 powder every day in the tank. Nothing! So sorry to hear about the angel and the neon :bawl:

Wow! That's crazy. You may want to add some NO3 to a cup of water and check your test. I've found that nothing raises nitrates quite like Osmocote Plus DIY root tabs. If you can scratch some up it may be worth it. Even if it doesn't help you much with nitrate it's great enrichment for the substrate and super cheap. For about $20 you can have enough for years of DIY tabs. Works better than anything in the garden, too.

Wow! That's crazy. You may want to add some NO3 to a cup of water and check your test. I've found that nothing raises nitrates quite like Osmocote Plus DIY root tabs. If you can scratch some up it may be worth it. Even if it doesn't help you much with nitrate it's great enrichment for the substrate and super cheap. For about $20 you can have enough for years of DIY tabs. Works better than anything in the garden, too.

Where can I get these root tabs? Can I use them with the root tabs I use now? Sorry to hijack....but you might want to know too, Jay :)

Osmocote Plus is a granular garden fertilizer that people either put into empty vitamin gel caps or simply freeze in ice cube trays (only about 10-30 granules and enough water to cover them). You just shove em in deep like normal tabs and the caps dissolve or the water melts then the plants can feed. They do release ammonia and nitrate in my experience. The advantage is in price and how link they last. Some people go over six months between feedings. One jug lasts years and years even with multiple tanks. You want to start our with only a little and how much your plants can actually use and check for an ammonia and nitrate spike. It's very popular on TPT. I ordered mine on Amazon but some garden centers have it. You want the Plus, not the regular Osmacote.

Ouch! Moving can be to much of a strain on any tank. Hopefully you can get it back better than ever once you settle in. Good luck man.

Ok its time to get my tank back and planted again I want easy plants to grow javas things like that

ForumRunner_20131010_173232.jpg

Plants ordered ferts ordered co2 already running shrimp cleaning sump its all go go go

Plants ordered ferts ordered co2 already running shrimp cleaning sump its all go go go

Moved the plants about a little
Dose anyone know how long for plant to take hold

ForumRunner_20131019_184609.jpg

Update there is lots of new growth in the tank there's at lest 1 cm since yesterday on the new sprouts how fast should they grow my co2 has dropped today its know at 20 ppm :-(

ForumRunner_20131022_184919.jpg

ForumRunner_20131022_184931.jpg

ForumRunner_20131022_184944.jpg

ForumRunner_20131022_185002.jpg

ForumRunner_20131022_185024.jpg

ForumRunner_20131022_185044.jpg

Back
Top Bottom