LED-what level of light? High/med?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2xEcho

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am not new to keeping fish, but was out of the game for awhile (ex-wife didn't approve... ). Now I have gotten my 75 gal my kids love (7, 5 and 3) and want to do things right. I bought the ecoxotic E-120 48inch full spectrum LED. Is this considered high light?, medium light? What? From what I read online there is a difference in opinion. The consensus is that the PAR indicates high light for the first 12 inches or so and then medium after that. I currently have bacopa, cabomba, wisteria, banana plants, swords, dwarf sag, ludwigia, and corkscrew val. All plants seem to be doing ok if not thriving. I use flourish, flourish iron, and excel. I am planning on taking the dive to co2, as funds allow me.

My question is... What is my tank considered? High light? Medium light? The swords are thriving and growing daughter plants. Wisteria and bacopa need trimmed weekly. Cambomba is growing well, banana plants are thriving. I believe I need need to add phosphate supplement, but want an opinion about the light quality/quantity.

I've learned a lot over the past couple of months, and want to make informed decisions moving forward. Would co2 help/is it necessary? Is the light i have powerful enough for co2 to benefit? Can my tank support plants designated as "high light"?

When I am able, I will post pics or links of the manufacturers wavelength/PAR for the light. I bought it under the impression that it is a powerful and high light source, but now I am not sure.

Thank you all for whatever feedback/advice you provide. I look forward to hearing your responses.

E_Series_Technical-Specification1.jpg

Here's the specs on my light.

Attachments

• LED Chip Wavelength.jpg
    LED Chip Wavelength.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 69
  • PAR.jpg
    PAR.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 59
I would classify this as medium light. I'm not really familiar with this light. I'm more a DIY light guy and both of my main systems are running with lights I built.

If you have the light already might as well give it a go and see what happens. IMO - CO2 will help regardless for plant health and growth. If you see your plants reaching for light and lots of space between the leaves on the stems that is a good indication of not enough light.

Thanks for the info!!
It's been hard to find anything that really spells out levels of lighting with LED lights.
Custom LEDs are easier to classify because you can customize the setup and know exactly what the total output is... Pre-constructed is more difficult, especially when on the borderline, and it seems like the prevailing thought is most LEDs (not all) cannot be high light.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom