Lighting help for a 40g breeder.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DCLXVI

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone

So I'm about ready to get a new light system for my planted 40g breeder. Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now I have a Shop light fixture suspended above my tank. 2x39w 6,500k.

I really want a fixture with night lights but its not a must. Any suggestions?
Right now I'm looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Blue-Sol...s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1324328124&sr=1-56
and
http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Corali...s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1324334783&sr=1-40

Looking for some input before I break out the CC

Both of those appear to be T5NO fixtures... if so, I've had a hard time finding any good T5NO bulbs. IMO, a dual T5HO fixture would be best. It would be too much light if you want a low or medium setup, but if you're going to do a medium-high to high light setup, HO is the only way to go until LED's come down in price. Bulbs are also readily available... and good bulbs, not junk.

Yea, I was having a hard time figuring out weather or not they were HO or not.
What about:
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-AquaS...?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1324338170&sr=1-6

Still well within my price range. The only thing I'm Worried about is CO2.
Right now I dose with Excel. I just don't want to hit high light to the point of dropping another $100 on a CO2 system. Right now I only have swords, but I would love to do a dwarf hair grass carpet and some high light plants.

Speaking of, does anyone know a good instruction for DIY CO2 using a paintball canister?

I really like these fixtures - T5-ho 3ft / 2LAMP Aquarium lighting... On a 40b with 2x39w, you'd really need co2 injection unless you can luck in to finding the perfect balance. The nice thing about lighting is that it's pretty easy to reduce lighting... but adding lighting requires more fixtures. Simply raising the light, or adding some screen to block some of it is a good way to plan ahead for that high light tank, but use that same fixture without the need for co2 injection and a steady fert regimine. All IMHO of course.

I was looking at those a while ago. Awesome, maybe Ill have to take your advise and go with what you posted. I do really appreciate your help. Lighting is so confusing!

Any suggestions for moon lights?

Lighting really is confusing... and the worst part is that every tank is different. Unfortunately, what works well for me might plague you with algae... or it might work out just fine. For instance, up until a few weeks ago, I was running a 40b with 4x39w T5HO and no co2 injection or ferts added. No idea how it worked, but it did, so I didn't question it.

I don't care much for moon lights... but you could get some that stick on with 2 sided tape and mount them on the fixture somehow.... I've got a nova extreme that I got off another mod here and he did that on that fixture. Works well, just isn't really my thing.

Really shallow tanks like 10s, 20 longs, and 40 breeders are about the only thing I would put LEDs on if you want anything more than medium light, and even then it leaves some to be desired, based on what I've seen from PAR data and such.

Honestly, the shop fixture itself is T5HO, so I would be you're probably getting decent light with that. People tend to overvalue expensive light-chuckers like T5HO fixtures when they could get the same or similar results with less light or DIY type options.

Is there any particular reason you want more light (plants not doing well due to light issues, want to upgrade to CO2 system, etc)?

Really shallow tanks like 10s, 20 longs, and 40 breeders are about the only thing I would put LEDs on if you want anything more than medium light, and even then it leaves some to be desired, based on what I've seen from PAR data and such.

Honestly, the shop fixture itself is T5HO, so I would be you're probably getting decent light with that. People tend to overvalue expensive light-chuckers like T5HO fixtures when they could get the same or similar results with less light or DIY type options.

Is there any particular reason you want more light (plants not doing well due to light issues, want to upgrade to CO2 system, etc)?

Do you want my honest reason for getting new lights?... I finally have a bit of extra money and love wasting it on my hobby :lol:

Yea, I honestly know I'm getting decent light (My swords are pearling) but It just feels like I could do better. Maybe I could spent the money on a nice CO2 setup?

My swords are doing fine right now and Ive had decent about of growth, but I want to start putting in some new plants. Ive fallen into "old tank syndrome" before and never want to fall into that again.

I absolutely believe that CO2 is the best investment you can do for your planted tanks. Excel helps, but plants go absolutely bananas for actual CO2. Most often it's CO2 that's the limiting factor in planted tanks, and adding it really helps spur on your plants and cut off the algae. It will also open up options in plant variety.

Any suggestions on a CO2 system? I don't really like the DIY yeast because it doesn't seem very reliable. I like the idea of doing the Paintball setup...but that seems like a huge investment upfront. And the disposable sets seem like too much money in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom