live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hubbybug12409

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it better to have live plans vs fake plants in a tank.. and if there is life plants dose it require more cleaning than a take with fake plants

Is it better to have live plans vs fake plants in a tank.. and if there is life plants dose it require more cleaning than a take with fake plants

Having live plants definitely does good things for your aquarium and provides a more natural and less stressful environment for your pets, but can also include more cost depending on what plants you get. I wouldn't say more cleaning, but possibly the same amount of cleaning or less because the live plants will take up nutrients(toxins to fish) like nitrates and others. Better or not is an opinion though, so that is your decision to make. I will say though, I started with fake plants and once you go the live you won't look back. I can't even imagine having a tank without live plants now, I wouldn't get nearly as much enjoyment out of it. It's the difference between watching a football game on an old tube tv and watching it on a big screen in HIDEF.

Can you recremend some plants thatbi should get. Im new to the aquarium world. Lol I got 6 guppies and a idk whatband 2 frogs

Live plants are a big plus with guppies as the need some vegetation in their diet. They won't eat up the plants enough to damage them but nibble a little when they need it. I have a 16g bowfront dedicated to just guppies and I even purposely let some algae grow on the Anubias just so they have some to munch on. It also helps feed the babies between feedings so they will grow a little faster. OS.

I have a florecent light.. at least thats what I think.. so with that light and a 36 gal bowed front can u recremend some plants.

I have a florecent light.. at least thats what I think.. so with that light and a 36 gal bowed front can u recremend some plants.

If its just the standard light fixture that comes with the tank kit and if its just regular gravel I would start with some very easy low light plants, something like anubias, java ferns, swords, and there are many others you can get. Just good search for low light aquarium plants, see what you like then let us know on this thread and we can help you decide what you would need as far as fertilizers go. There's a good article on this forum about beginning to understand a planted tank you should check out and you can always dig around in the planted section and get some good info too

I dont have gravel I have a sand base.. but ill look into those plant tyoes. Thank you so much.

I dont have gravel I have a sand base.. but ill look into those plant tyoes. Thank you so much.

All my tanks have sand in them so no worries about that, but you most likely will have to use root tabs to add nutrients to the substrate. You may like bacopa caroliniana too, it may be more of a low-medium light plant but I have it under a dual t5ho fixture and under a regular t8 fluorescent light and it does well in both.

Having live plants definitely does good things for your aquarium and provides a more natural and less stressful environment for your pets, but can also include more cost depending on what plants you get. I wouldn't say more cleaning, but possibly the same amount of cleaning or less because the live plants will take up nutrients(toxins to fish) like nitrates and others. Better or not is an opinion though, so that is your decision to make. I will say though, I started with fake plants and once you go the live you won't look back. I can't even imagine having a tank without live plants now, I wouldn't get nearly as much enjoyment out of it. It's the difference between watching a football game on an old tube tv and watching it on a big screen in HIDEF.

+1 to not looking back once you go live plants. I had all fake plants. Got my first live plant and kept all my fake plants in... two days after getting my live plant I took every single fake one out and went plant crazy. I honestly wish I would've went the live plant route sooner! If you don't want much of an added expense, try sticking to plants that are root feeders, such as swords and crypts. These plants require root tabs, but you can make your own very easily and it's very cost effective. You can buy a small container of Osmocote (got mine at Walmart for $7) and once you see how small the pellets are you will see how they will last you forever. All you do is buy Osmocote indoor/outdoor formula (some use osmocote for flower/vegetable or Osmocote plus, the choice is yours) put 4-6 pellets in the sections of an ice cube tray and use TANK water, NOT TAP water, put in your freezer, freeze and push down in your substrate near your plants.

I can't imagine anything different now. Even my little 10 gal. Tank is stunning with three plants. All the fish, tropical, love to swim and sleep in and around them. Some nibbling by the balloons did a bit of damage, but they seem to have lost interest for some reason. I buy my plants on amazon from Substrate source. I also bought beautiful and clean black sand from them and their fertilizer capsules. If their plants look so good the caps must work. They have been very nice and will help you.

I can't imagine anything different now. Even my little 10 gal. Tank is stunning with three plants. All the fish, tropical, love to swim and sleep in and around them. Some nibbling by the balloons did a bit of damage, but they seem to have lost interest for some reason. I buy my plants on amazon from Substrate source. I also bought beautiful and clean black sand from them and their fertilizer capsules. If their plants look so good the caps must work. They have been very nice and will help you.

I've also heard of people buying 00 size gel capsules (found on amazon) and putting Osmocote pellets in them as we'll and it supposedly works very well. Haven't tried that yet as I think the tank water cubes work well, I know my amazon sword exploded once I started using them!

Back
Top Bottom