Making the Switch to Pressurized

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purrbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I think the title sums it up nicely. Basically I got really fed up with my DIY CO2 when I discovered that things had gotten totally out of wack with my CO2 levels and this was the real cause of my algae headaches. I've got it mostly under control, but I'm still toying with the idea of shell out the money for pressurized to avoid these problems in the future.

Here's what I've got figured out so far:

Priced from Rex Griggs for three tanks allowing for future expansion:

---------------------With Selonoid----Without Selonoid
Regulator-----------$125--------------$100 (includes 1 Needle Valve, 1 Check Valve, & 5ft CO2 Tubing)
Manifold-6port------$ 10--------------$ 10
Plugs x3-------------$ 0.75-----------$ 0.75
Needle Valve x2----$ 28--------------$ 28
Check Valve x2-----$ 24-------------$ 24
CO2 Tubing 25ft----$ 17.50----------$ 17.50
--------------------------------------------------
Total-----------------$205.25---------$180.25

At this point I'm not sure if I want to get the selonoid or not. I'd really like to avoid having to find one more place to plug something it if at all possible, but at the same time it would be nice to be able to get the savings by turning off the CO2 at night. Not sure if the size of my tanks would have any bearing on this issue.

I've been checking out local suppliers for 5lb CO2 cylindars and refills.
1. Cylindar: $95 (Filled)
-- Refill: $20 (Swap immediate, NonSwap next day, free delivery)
-- Retest $15 (Annual, waived on tanks purchased from them)
2. Cylindar: $85 (Filled)
-- Refill: $10 (Swap immediate)
-- Retest ? (Every 5 years)
3. Cylindar: $87 (Filled)
-- Refill: $8 (Swap immediate)
-- Retest: (Doesn't apply to 5lb cylindars)

Haven't checked with the firestations etc for their pricing on refills yet.

I'm leaning toward option 3 due to overall pricing, but am leary that they stated that the 5lb cylindars didn't need to be tested. Next thought would be to go with option 1 for the fee waival and free delivery (not necessary now but might be nice if we end up moving into the country).

I'd appreciate your input on where to go for the cylindar and refills as well as whether or not to get the selonoid. Thanks!

I too am thinking of going pressurized this fall sometime and I found your info there really helpful there. IMHO I would get the solenoid because it looks like it would pay for itself in no time.
Looking forward what others have to say about it.

Well, I got mine from a Welding/Medical Supply Warehouse. They charged 77.00 for my 5lb, and is only 15.00 plus tax for the refill, which is just swapping the bottle. No test either if purchased through them, as all bottles are tested on their end and you are just swapping the bottles with them. I also got a 10lb bottle for 125.00 from them. Not sure what the refill will be as I never asked.

have you checked ww.aquariumplant.com they have a complete setup for $289

SYSTEM CONSISTS OF:
-Regulator (AQUARIUMPLANTS.com's own)(3year warranty!!!)
-Milwaukee monitor/controller (SMS122):
-Reactor 200 (with Rio pump):
-10' Co2 resistant tubing:
-Heavy duty 3 prong (grounded) timer:
-1 bottle 4.01 calibration solution:
-1 bottle 7.01 calibration solution:

they also have varous sizes of alum. cylinders both filled and unfilled fro 2.5g up to 20g

they also sell teh regulater seperate for $129
FEATURES/FUNCTIONS:
* Industrial "bullet proof" regulator chassis
* Dual Guage (tank volume & flow pressure)
* Fully adjustable flow (others have a "fixed" flow)
* Finest, most precise "Laboratory grade" needle valve (80 threads per inch)(Clippard)(made in USA)
* Brass top quality "Laboratory grade" check valve (Clippard)(made in USA)
* German built (Burkert) electric solenoid (tested to 10 million cycles)
* Bubble counter site guage
* Low profile: 1.5" higher than tank valve
* Fully tested & calibrated
* 3 year FULL warranty
* Hand assembled in USA

Thankyou for your recommendation imcgary. I was already aware of AquariumPlants.com. It and Aquatic-Store.com were the two other places that I priced out things. Just a note that some members here recently purchased the AquariumPlants Regulator and reported having major problems with it.

I am not looking for a fully automated system with PH controller nor do I need another reactor since I've already have some that I built. The key is that I will need to supply three tanks from a single pressurized setup, which means that I will need the manifold. Price/Quality wise Rex appears to have what I will need.

What I am looking for, is help in determining whether or not the selonoid will be worth it considering that the 5lb bottle will be supplying three tanks with a total volume of 18 gallons. I severely doubt I will have to refill the tank more than once a year even without the selonoid. I am also looking for input on which of the three vendors was correct in reguards to retesting of a 5lb tank, and whether or not free delivery (which I might not use) and free retesting (if actually needed) is worth an extra $10 per refill.

I am watching your post as I will be in line right behind you, I'm getting tired of the inconsistencies of DIYC02 as well!

I'm going to switch to pressurized too in the next month or so. I'm thinking of going with Red Sea's setup that uses refillable tanks that can be used with paintball guns. It seems to have all the features of a larger system but a lower cost. Its about $125 at Big Al's.

I'd love to go pressurized on my 20gallon. I'm sure it would help the algae issues, but I just can't justify such a high cost! Maybe this will be a Christmas gift or something.....

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Regulator and Manifold today. Hopefully it'll be here in a week or two, depending on how long it takes to be assembled. Went for the Regulator without the selonoid as there just wasn't enough reason to spring the extra cash for it at this point. I can always get one later if I have the need to and add it to the existing setup.

Now I just need to make up my mind on where to buy/refill the cylinder.

Please let us know how it works out for you. I am going pressurized very soon. Even when your as fanatical as I am with my DIYC02 bottle changes, you still get the odd bad batch or a leaky connection on your DIY stuff. C02 is just to critical in a planted high light tank to allow for any inconsistencies. Time to get rid of the weak link!

In my situation I think it was a case of the cold snap causing a significant drop in CO2 production along with a possible poor batch of CO2 to make things worse. I've been putting up with the variable nature of DIY CO2 for over a year now and luckily I haven't had too many problems with it, however this last set of problems caused too much havoc in my tanks and frusteration for me. It's time to make the switch.

No they do not. Apparently the fancy bubble counters that you see for sale with other manifolds will not work with the needle valves that Rex uses. You can either buy one of those inline bubble counters or there are a couple of DIY bubble counters that you can build. Rex stated that he uses a 20oz bottle for a bubble counter on his tanks. I plan to use the bubble counters I made using a childrens medicine shringe and check valve.

cant wait for my tank to be filled. i bought a pressurized system about 5 months ago off of a member on this site but the bottle i got with it was odd. it was the size of a paintball cylinder but the thread started right away compared to a paintball cylinder which has the oring first so i couldnt get it filled anywhere local. my dad works with people who deal with gas fillings and all that so the bottle is currently in route to being filled and i cant wait to get mine going. my 20 gal really needs a stable source of co2 ratcher than the inconsistant productions of DIY. post pictures once u get it so everyone can see how a pressurized system is hooked up. some people may not know.

I think I'm going to be next in line, especially after upgrading to a larger tank (30g to 46g). A few months ago I was able to get my hands on a cheap CO2 extinguisher which means I'll have to change out the valve assembly. I already have the regulator and diffuser.....I just need to get the rest of the stuff (tubing, needle valve, fittings etc.) from Rex Grigg and I'll be in business. I just haven't had the time to do it. yet.

The regulator arrived today. Of course it came with absolutely no instructions. Gotta love it! :lol: I did a quick search and found this site with instructions on setting up pressurized CO2. Most importantly it details which direction to turn the nobs on the regulator and needle valves to shut them off, and when they should be turned off and on while hooking up the CO2. I think that this should be enough for me to get things hooked up successfully. Now I just need to buy the tank and set aside some time to put everything together. I may have mixed my last DIY CO2 batch! :mrgreen:

Congrats on getting the pressurized system. Once you have it you'll wonder why it took so long to buy it. Regarding the solenoid. I don't currently use a solenoid. They have been the weak link in the system too many times for me. Unless you want a pH controlled system there is really no need for the solenoid. And personally I prefer to injection an amount of CO2 rather than control a pH. I do use a pH monitor (Pinpoint) and that is another great piece of equipment to have but I really don't want or need a pH controller.

Look forward to your updates setting up your system.

I've just got a pressurised system, bought the whole lot as a kit as finding individual parts was a bit of a head ache and could find a decent site for the UK... However it turned up & i had it plumbed in and bubbling within 5 mins, was so simple!

I'd love to see pics of how you've got yours set up as i have another 2 tanks that once i'm used to using this system may well like to link up too!

Back
Top Bottom