Mix eco-complete with existing gravel or just replace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gte068w

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm making the transition to a planted tank and wanted input on whether its really best to mix the new eco-complete substrate in with my existing gravel or just replace it entirely.

Aesthetically-speaking, I'd rather not mix the two because I like the look of the black eco-complete and I had some bright gravel. However, if that's best for the eco system in the tank, I can deal :)

I was planning to do a 50% PWC and then remove the gravel and fake plants, then add the eco-complete... while trying not to traumatize my fish.

I would just pull the fish out and keep them in the bucket during the transition. I would also pull all the existing substrate out. It shouldn't have a very big impact on your cycle but I would test parameters every other day for a week or so after the switch.

Agreed you really want to replace the gravel. I use Eco-complete in all my tanks and have for a long time and am very satisfied with it.

Thank you!

I appreciate the advice, thank you both! I went ahead and made the switch this evening. The water is still a tad cloudy but its settling. The new plants are in and the fish are back in the tank. Hopefully everyone will still be swimming in the AM.

Back
Top Bottom