Eco complete question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertybelle

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have inert black gravel in my 29 at the moment. Fairly thin layer (when I first started the tank I had nearly 100% plants that didn’t care much about rooting. (Anubius, java ferns etc) so there’s not much in there. I eventually added some val and boy did it take off and some other things.

But there’s clearly not enough substrate in there and when I thin plants I can’t even get roots reburied!

I 100% do not want to change out the substrate entirely. (I have a toddler at home with me and I just won’t have time for that project right now. )

Instead of just getting more black gravel I wanted to add some eco complete to add some trace minerals for the rooting plants along with some much needed depth.

From what I can see it looks like the eco complete would ‘match’ pretty well with black gravel so the inevitable mixing won’t look heinous. Anyone think it would be a problem to add the ecocomplete on top of existing black gravel?

Also I see mixed reviews on rinsing this stuff. Usually if I’m adding gravel to an existing tank with inhabitants I just rinse like crazy and put it in one cup at a time over time so as not to stress fish out. Do you really not rinse eco?

I've used both substrates and I would just add more sand. I didn't rinse my eco, but my eco-complete tank gave me fits from day one. P.I.T.A to plant any 'fine ' rooted plants, especially Monte Carlo, or any carpeting plant for that matter. Every morning they were floating or stuck to my filter intake. :banghead: I even tried capping it w/sand once, and that was even worse as a couple months later, the sand worked it's way to the bottom and the eco-complete sat on tap.....so i stripped it all out. To each there own, but if I were you, i'd just add more sand. Root tabs and water column dosing will do the rest. Just my $.02.

I don’t have sand in that tank... As I said, I have black gravel and no desire to mix sand into the gravel. From what I’ve seen online the eco is more like a small gravel than sand?

To me it seems like coarse holes lava flow rock smashed into small chunks. Not the red lava rock that has texture similar to pumice. More like the lava which was encroaching on neighborhoods in Hawaii in the news not too long ago.

I could grab out a hand full if you want, and put in on a paper towel so you can see it?

Thanks, I just went ahead and got some! I see what you mean about the crushed lava rock texture. I like it. No cories in that tank so that’s fine. It’s not the exact same shade of black as the gravel but it doesn’t look like a mess, just like a natural size and slight color variation. People say it’s difficult to plant in but I had no issues replanting, mostly val and crypts. Maybe The gravel below made it easier.

I’m sure my plants will be much happier now. There was maybe a half inch of gravel in the back before and even less in the front. Leftover set up from before I had rooted plants at all. Honestly it’s astonishing how well everything has been growing considering there was barely enough gravel to even keep roots covered before!

The cloudiness wasn’t a big deal either. I did it bowl by bowl but just slowly filled the bowl with tank water, dumped it once then laid it down to spread by hand. Clouded up for maybe 5 minutes. Completely clear already.

I did about 2/3 of the tank tonight and I’ll do the rest tomorrow as long as no mini cycle. It’s still not too terribly deep (and I have an absurd amount of biomedia for my stock) so I doubt I’ll have any cycling issues from covering the old gravel.

I like EC. I like some of the not exactly soil substrates Like Samurai Soil by Caribsea. More like a fired clay. Doesn't get the much of the soil ball stuff. Light, good for root growth, but a touch of weight and it isn't as float-y as many of them.

They all have a purpose, different qualities and are better than different kinds of tanks.

Pretty sure the EC will serve you better than the pre-planted tank black gravel, hahahaha!

Back
Top Bottom