Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #1

OK so as a dummy.. I planted a tiger lotus bulb in the front center of my tank, not realizing how quickly it grew and how big it actually got.. so sometime in the very near future.. i need to move it to the back of tank and move some other plants around .. what's the best way to move rooted plants that have shoots and new growth without stunting or harming the plant? Not positive but I think the lotus and my crypts are intertwining roots as well..

Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
come get me tang police!

I pull the root system out unless its really really well embedded. I've trimmed the roots down if they are insanely long, otherwise I just re-plant them all.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #3

Should I remove sons of the off shutes that are starting to grow up through the substrate and replant separate? Also.. because I'm doing the silent cycle.. how do I know when I can start removing some of the hordes of stem plants and replacing them with swords and such?
Old 06-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
come get me tang police!

I've not kept that particular type plant so I can't say. If it's putting off runners (not sure if they do this or not), then I would say you can separate them once they have their own individual root structures.

One thing about stem plants, like anacharis, is they don't have to be planted, so let them float and put the swords in where they were planted at. As far as removing them goes, I'd let the tank establish for at least a month or so before you start pulling them out. Testing the water regularly whenever you do something like pull plants out will dictate what you can and can't do.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #5

That's the prob.. all of my tests have been normal like a cycled tank would be.. I'd hate to remove the stem plants and find oout that the tank wasnt cycled but that the plants were what was keeping it in check. I bought alot of wysteria and anacharis and some moneywort to do the cycle.. but don't want to keep them permanently.. at least not as much of them.. maybe a few stems of each will be OK. But they are just ugly plants. Lol
Old 06-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I would wait until you know things are stable, growing well and you have your full planned fish load. After that you can pretty much do what you want.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich311k
I would wait until you know things are stable, growing well and you have your full planned fish load. After that you can pretty much do what you want.
So wait a few months until after I've added my total fish population? I'm gonna have to do alot of trimming on that lotus.. lol thing grows almost as fast as the anacharis.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
That is what I would do. That way you have stability and a tank ready to support any kind of plants your light will support.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
I've not kept that particular type plant so I can't say. If it's putting off runners (not sure if they do this or not), then I would say you can separate them once they have their own individual root structures.
You should check into them.. the red tiger lotus had a beautiful red green color that is a nice contrast to the green in most tanks.. and unlike alot of other plants.. doesn't seem to be dependant on different parameters to keep the red coloring. And with an open tank they have awesome flowers
Old 06-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #10

Here is the red.. I also have a green in another tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110607_170741.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	39569   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110607_170756.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	39570  

Tags
moving, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com