Nano Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Drs Foster and Smith have a few that are similar (and that one too I believe). I have a Duetto 100 in my tank and have had good success with it. It's a completely internal filter (great for me with zero extra space). Comes with carbon but it's easily removed (separate media) and the sponges are pretty tough, not matting down at all and take a good squeezing.

They come in a few different sizes and aren't too expensive.

Fort
On another forum, I read some good revues on that HOB cannister.
The only complaint was that the hoses were flimsy, but they didn't leak.
Zoo-Med makes one also. Your LFS may have the Zoo-Med.
You can find them in the $20+ range.
I was thinking about one for my 16 gallon.
Charles

Thanks cbwmn. I am thinking I will probably pick one up. I might just replace the hoses anyway, I don't think they will be long enough to put the filter where I want to put it... def. don't want to hang the thing on the side of the tank... getting the filter away from the tank is one of the reasons I am considering it.

I bought one , thought it would make my 5.5 gallon look more high tech , well I personally do not think it had enough flow . I took it off and put on a whisper 10, when filled with ceramics, and filter floss *( batting) the flow is not too much at all . I like my plants to be strong without being pushed' over. so I have that effect . I now have read a few articles , and have I think I can increase the flow , so I am going to try that . good luck with your tank , you can make this filter work, you may want to add a small powerhead every now & then .

interesting, thanks for the reply. I am amazed since they claim it can be used on a tank up to 20G.

yeah !!LOL~~ that IS a joke . I would NEVER use it on anything bigger tahn a 5 gallon, It may work well in a viv, or pal. as a filter fro the little bit of water in the bottom of the 20 gallon, but NO , I have a fluval (old school) 304 on my 20 high and it keeps my water cystal clear, but again the flow is not as good as I would want it . But with the filtration , I cant complain , unlike the tom rapids, it gets dirty fast , and you have to clean it alot more than a reg canister probally because of its size, But mine got nasty , quick, whereas I have the whisper 10, with the cermaics, & some filter floss, I just change out the filter floss about every 2-3 weeks, and stay on top of water changes, it looks ugly, but works good. so , I now have a new light to show off my little high tech heaven , thus being the reason to again try the tom canister filter out one more time :) I have to try . it looks sweet... but I also want the filtration to stay nice & clear as well . I do my weekly water changes, *( maybye if I leave out' some of the filter media, where its not so full, ) and cut the hoses as short as possiable, which I think they are as short without place ing ' it on the back of the tank, and that would defeat the whole purpose uknow . so I will try it one more time, after that it is sold !!! *( if I cant get it to work good ) and ofcorse this is all IMHO ~~ and I HTH ~ maybye some others have had better luck . IDK ~ good luck ethier way ! ~~~ show pics !!!! ~~ I am abotu to make a journal of this little 1 gallon I just got it is so cute !! now that is a tank that is hard to filtrate !!!!!! LOL ~~~ its got the whisper tiny thingy in, and i am thinking abotu a sponge filter, but wow no room at all!!! i will make the journal today ,.~~~ with lots of pics !!!!!

The rating is based off of using the filter for turtles, where the aquarium probably wouldn't be more than about half full.

hmmm, well both the ebay listing and DFS say 80gph, which in theory would be sufficient for a 20 g. So, what I am thinking is there is no way thing actually pumps 80gph.

copyied from the review . I also read that before i bought mine )

its a great little thing, I would Not put on a tank over 5.5 gallons, IMHO ~~~~

""I clean one and 2 or 3 weeks later clean the other. With 2 I can have one fail and still have some filtration
I have removed the indicator and the flow now is about 45GPH. This is calculated by having the filter flow into a bucket for a minute (3 quarts) and then multiplying the quarts by 60 minutes (180) and then dividing by 4 to get gallons. This is a far cry from the stated 80GPH. """"" "

again ,. ALL I am saying is the FLOW is NOT what it states . I will hook mine back up, and as I metioned with the advice of a thread I read , I will only use half the media in the canister, hoping for more water movement, ie~ more water flow . I just want my 5 gallon to stay clean . :) I do agree that this mini canister has to be cleaned every 2 weeks. then it can run good . I also read that reveiw before I bought mine, and thought wow good flow , big tank, this will work great !! NOT ~~ as I metioned my whisper 10 hob has way more flow . and the plastic pcs that start from the black hoses are really cheap and thin !!! I broke my out take and chiped it just by hooking it to the black hose. so BE careful with this fragil item . I will pull mine out today do some modifications, and see if I can get any better , I will post pics if you like . :)

Remember that the flow that most filters are rated at is with the filter empty. Once you load it up with media the flow slows down significantly.

hmmm, well both the ebay listing and DFS say 80gph, which in theory would be sufficient for a 20 g. So, what I am thinking is there is no way thing actually pumps 80gph.

Fort
Did you ever buy one of them?
If so, do you like it?
Just curious, I hae a 16 gallon (10 gallon footprint, just taller)
that I have an AC 20 on. It's a great litle filter thats doing it's job, but I really like canisters.
Charles

Still have it on my watch list on ebay :)

The HOB is getting the job done, so I haven't bought it yet.

Back
Top Bottom