New 40 gal breeder!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HalfMoon B

Aquarium Advice Addict
Thanks petco! 4 free bags of sand substrate since they no longer sell it. Light and stand on clearance for 50% off!
Setup picsoin the way for the build thread.

Attachments

• image-4075011122.jpg
    image-4075011122.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 302
That's a perfect tank IMO. It's small, but not too small, but at the same time, it's big, but not too big. I favor my 40 breeders over any other tank I've got, including my 125 and 150.

Sorry if you're going to address this later on in the thread, but are you planning on running co2? I've got 2x39w on my 40 breeder planted, co2 is definitely something I'd suggest.

Right now my fixture will be just above 2 watts/gal. Will see how it goes...

Water and bucket time :(

I swear I don't think this water will EVER clear up!
:impatient:

Attachments

• image-2243761780.jpg
    image-2243761780.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 229
  • image-2627902493.jpg
    image-2627902493.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 229
  • image-2029629179.jpg
    image-2029629179.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 231
Last edited by a moderator:
Great deal! The water will settle in time... Did you wash the sand first? That helps it clear up a bit faster. If not, no need to pull it out, it'll settle in time. :)

It was washed pretty thoroughly. Could be I am just not used to high end lights, lol

Coleallensmom said:
Nice set up! what plants are you planning on?

I have some sword, fern, moss, and a bit o micro sword, and anacharis. I really need a good ground cover plant too, and some hornwort. I am moving the driftwood over from my other tank.

Planted!! Almost completely... Not quite

Attachments

• image-1748811094.jpg
    image-1748811094.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 231
Driftwood and some inverts are in. Rest of the inverts are acclimating.
Ich was spotted on a rasbora, so he is in qt, and the rest are being watched!

Attachments

• image-3733456269.jpg
    image-3733456269.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 224
Nerite snails, a mystery snail, and Amano shrimp. The harlequin rasbora and the cardinal tetras are still in the 29 gallon.
Ad the one rasbora with ich is in a 10 gal QT

Quick update with a new picture, adn an up close panorama.

Attachments

• image-1450897396.jpg
    image-1450897396.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 198
  • image-3501504511.jpg
    image-3501504511.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 193
Once things fill out, it will look like a veritable jungle I think!!! And the amanos for some reason LOVE hanging from the floating plant....strangest thing...hilarious to watch.
Can't wait to slowly add my fish after their QT is done!!
:joy:

Just got my CO2 injector setup. Woot!

Thanks! It needs some time, I need something for the right foreground... I am thinking gloss stigma. Who knows...

First, I need to decide on where things are staying.
I am slowly adding things here and there. There are some floating plants, and everyone has selected their territory. So I doubt I will move things, just add to what's there already. For now...it's a waiting game!

First, I need to decide on where things are staying.
I am slowly adding things here and there. There are some floating plants, and everyone has selected their territory. So I doubt I will move things, just add to what's there already. For now...it's a waiting game!

Yeah I feel ya, I just started a new planted tank and I hate the waiting ha ha.

Just remember now, while your plants haven't rooted to much yet, to think what the plant will look like, not what it is now. When I first started I was making that mistake and things got messy lol .

Well I'm subscribed to your log so I'll keep a watch :)

Peace,
Ben

My problem was giving things ROOM to grow.
I wanted to really pack it from the get go...good thing I couldn't afford it! Lol

Back
Top Bottom