New 55 gallon Orinoco Biotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xXxT0MBstonexXx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys. I just bought myself a 55 gallon aquarium and would really like to do a tank focused on the Orinoco River. I saw a pair of German Blue Ram Cichlids at a local pet store and cant think of a better focal point for my tank.
I want to have 1 male and 2 female German Blue Ram Cichlids and I'm building everything else around them. I setup the tank 5 days ago and have 5 Giant Danios and some Cardinal Tetras in it right now for cycling. The Giant Danios will be removed from the tank once it is cycled. Im going to list everything I could think of so far and would greatly appreciate any help or advise.

Equipment
1 55 gallon aquarium
1 Marineland Penguin 350 Filter
1 200watt Heater
1 Thermometer
1 Hood with both day lights and night lights

Fish
3 German Blue Ram Cichlids (1 male 2 female)
10 Cardinal Tetras
3 Emerald Green Cory Catfish
1 Butterfly Sailfin Pleco

Plants and decorations
55 pounds of medium-large pebble substrate (I know it should be sand and clay but I already have it in my tank)
1 large driftwood for the left side
2 small-medium driftwood for the right side
2 Amazon Swords

so thats the list I came up with so far. What fish and plants should I add or change? Please remember Im trying to make this an Orinoco River biotope and do not want any fish or plants that would not be native to the river. Thanks for any and all input

And I dont plan on adding the German Blue Ram Cichlids until i get everything else setup properly. they're pretty expensive and are very sensitive to water conditions so they're going to be the last thing I add to the tank

Are you fish-in cycling? If that is the case it will be awhile before you could add anything new, unless you are near the end of it. Fish-in could take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.

As for stock, why not get a pair of GBRs instead and use them as a focal point? Only because then they would spawn and it would be very cool. Bump the cory school to six and you should be good to go.

well idk how far into the cycle I am. I used some liquid (cant remember what it was called) but the water became very cloudy and then today it just started to clear up

anyways. i need help selecting some more fish. I have the Corys for the bottom and the GBRs and the Cardinal Tetras really like the bottom of the tank as well....I need something for the top and middle of the tank now. any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom