New finnex planted plus !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yahh... The balance thing... I'm still working that out.. 3-4 months of tinkering haha, it has been fun though!

Hey bro! Awesome light! Glad you got it! It looks amazing!
I'm really liking it man! Thanks! I couldn't help the urge to run both the finnex and t5no, the t5 offers a little more natural color, I may even try putting the rossete bulb back in.. Anyone think I'm going to high light for no co2?? I dose excel full strength..

I'm really liking it man! Thanks! I couldn't help the urge to run both the finnex and t5no, the t5 offers a little more natural color, I may even try putting the rossete bulb back in.. Anyone think I'm going to high light for no co2?? I dose excel full strength..

It can be done; Rivercats maintained a heavily planted brightly lit tank for quite a while before she stepped into the pressurized CO2 dark side. You may want to use Metricide for less expensive source of Glutaraldehyde (if you aren't already).

It can be done; Rivercats maintained a heavily planted brightly lit tank for quite a while before she stepped into the pressurized CO2 dark side. You may want to use Metricide for less expensive source of Glutaraldehyde (if you aren't already).
I still have $30 worth excel or 1000ml to use up. My next order will be metricide and the dry fert pack from gla.. What will I be up against? Mainly algae growth?? Will I need to ramp up glut dose? I still think I'm only in med light category? What do you think fresh? You're familiar with both the lights im running. What if a I ran only the finnex for my first 3 hour photo and both for my second 4.5 hr period??

I still have $30 worth excel or 1000ml to use up. My next order will be metricide and the dry fert pack from gla.. What will I be up against? Mainly algae growth?? Will I need to ramp up glut dose? I still think I'm only in med light category? What do you think fresh? You're familiar with both the lights im running. What if a I ran only the finnex for my first 3 hour photo and both for my second 4.5 hr period??

That plan sounds fine. Just keep an eye on it. I don't think you will end up with an algae farm. You can dial back on the hours as needed.
When I switched from t5 to led I noticed some growth changes but it took a while. Let's use the broadleaf chain swords in my tank as an example. Started with about 7-8 small specimens. Under the dual t5 no it was barely alive. Small in size and no runners. Was using Flourish Complete, API Leaf Zone, and Excel at the time. About a month after using the LEDs the leaves got larger. Maybe a runner here or there. Nothing too dramatic. About 6 weeks after using DIY CO2 (piped directly into one of the HOBs) I noticed even larger leaves and lots of runners. At its peak growth, the swords would have taken over the entire tank (20g long) in a matter of a few months. Leaves are growing to the surface. The plant went from a foreground to a midground to a background plant in less than a year. 4 months after using CO2 I harvested 50-60 plants and still had about 50% left in the tank. Did a similar re-harvest 3 months later.
During that time (before and after adding the DIY CO2) algae was not a problem. Oh, was also growing Bacopa caroliniana at the time and was trimming that down every 1-2 weeks. That plant might have been a nutrient hog and helped keep the algae at bay.
Before you order from GLA, if you get the PPS-Pro pack, get an extra 500 mL fert container. You'll want to mix up and dose the nitrates separately due to the nitrates already present.
Bottom line: you'll probably be fine with the Excel/Glutaraldehyde only. CO2 does help. After fumbling around with DIY you'll probably get tired of it and moved onto pressurized.
Sorry for the long post.

No, I appreciate it! This is exactly what I need to know!! I'm using the narrow leaf micro chain as a guinea pig too, although 3 months under t5 mine was looking pretty healthy, only a couple runners but full and lush nonetheless.. If I'm any good at predicting what my future self will do, I may just stick to the liquids for the time being and go full blown co2 like yours when I hopefully get out of my apt and have more space for toys.. In the meantime.. If I get antsy I can always hack up a DIY setup... This stuff is more than fun huh????

Brookster is a plant daddy!

Hey Brookster!
I discovered this baby Vesuvius Sword plant on mine. As promised this will be going to you in a couple of weeks. Looks like your a papa! LOL It's a boy! I looked. OS.

Attachments

• _DSC0539.jpg
    _DSC0539.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 69
Hahaha that's awesome!!! Thanks for being such an attentive plant doctor.. Creepy?!? Noooooooo;)

Yeah it's too bright in my garage to see it completely but I do like the night light combined with the normal light. Have u seen a difference in growth?

Nice! Hopefully my hairgrass carpets in my low tech not really expecting it to but wanted to see what it'd do

Yeah doing double dosages of API booster and flourish there's no fish in there right now. I set up DIY co2 but couldn't get it to work yesterday so gave it a break for today.

No fish yet? You cycling? I'm going to go dry/metricide to. Just need to exhaust my $100 worth if seachem stuff haha

I had a goldfish but I did a complete rescape and dirted it and through off my nitrite so I took him out until the mini cycles done.

Back
Top Bottom