New Shrimp Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an empty 10g right now that I have been thinking about making into a planted shrimp tank. I've been wanting to do it for a while but just haven't "pulled the trigger". I've tried keeping shrimp in my 55 but they always go missing - I think to my rhino pleco - but it keeps me worrying about even trying to keep them...

Beautiful tank though, really looks nice. Using CO2 or anything?

Go for it! I'm in the process of setting up another 10g shrimp tank to go with this one.

No Co2 on this tank. It's fairly low light and low tech. These shrimp need a stable environment and CO2 is just another thing that can go wrong. Thats why I used slow growing plants as well. No need for the CO2.

There's something to be said for the simplicity of a shrimp tank. Plants, shrimp, a few rocks, some DW and you're done. I really hate the idea of breaking down my shrimp tank and moving them all over to the river tank. I know the chance of baby shrimp surviving will be lowered.

There's something to be said for the simplicity of a shrimp tank. Plants, shrimp, a few rocks, some DW and you're done. I really hate the idea of breaking down my shrimp tank and moving them all over to the river tank. I know the chance of baby shrimp surviving will be lowered.

Yeah. I had some shrimp in another tank and they were doing very well. I had probably 40 or so counting babies. I added one flagfish to help clean out so hair algae and... two weeks later no more algae and no more shrimp.

So, I'm just curious on the lighting you have. I know you said 23w cfl so is it like a normal tank hood with 2 cfls in it? Jw, since I might like to make a shrimp tank out of my empty 10g lol.

So, I'm just curious on the lighting you have. I know you said 23w cfl so is it like a normal tank hood with 2 cfls in it? Jw, since I might like to make a shrimp tank out of my empty 10g lol.

Actually, the tank is open top and the light is just a Wallyworld $15 desk lamp. I had two over the tank but removed one when I started to get hair algae. It seems to be working great. Everything is growing in well and the shrimp are happy. I thought about switching to a better light bit this one is working just fine for me right now.

Back
Top Bottom