Newbie :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heisenberg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to transition from plastic to live plants and I am wondering what the best and easiest beginner plants are?

Anubias is the only one I managed not to kill when I first started. I still have my very first Anubias from 3 years ago.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395168098.489280.jpg
Thanks all! Amazon sword (right) is doing well, and also java fern (left front).

Thank you JHenry! The "children" at the Lfs of course didn't mention it and had it growing in rocks in the store :/ supposed to be the best Lfs around :/ but yes thank you, I have a piece of wood to the left it can go on.@supergummy: Yes that is my red tailed shark, Dexter :)

Is there anything special I need to know about the keeping of Anubias? Or anymore about Amazon Sword or Java Fern?

Swords are heavy root feeders, so get some root tabs and put it in the substrate about an inch from the plant. Java ferns are not picky. Both plants would benefit from some nutrients/fertilizers in the water though. You can get in dry form, which is what most people do because its inexpensive, or liquid form which you can get at your LFS. Your plants will benefit from both micro nutrients and the three macros, phosphate, nitrate and potassium. Java ferns and anubias are slow growing plants, so don't be surprised if you start to see algae growing on their leafs over time.

Sorry I didn't see that you had both java ferns and anubias. Both of those are rhizome feeders and should be attached to driftwood or a rock. You can bury them but you have to keep the rhizome above the gravel which is more of a pain than its worth, its safer to attach them to something.

I'm not sure how fast they grow, but he is barely an inch at the moment. Of course, if he gets too big, i will move him to a 50 g or larger, i would never be cruel and intentionally risk ones health :) i plan on have a 70 g by next summer. I have a friend who has had a red tailed shark for a couple years and he isn't much bigger than mine and seems supper happy in his 30g tall. How fast have you seen them grow? I use all Sera products so that's what he's eating

Back
Top Bottom