Overstocekd tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hecurcia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys,
I need some ideas in how to manage the stock in my 40 Gallon breeder. My new platy had babies two weeks ago and had some more this week.Before the babies the tank contained:
9 Platies (all Females, I started with two and they had 8 babies more than a year ago. The first two moms died of old age complications).
8 danios
14 Neon tetras
3 Ottos.
Two power filters (Aquaclear 50 and a Fluval C2).

But now I have 9 two-weeks old babies and i counted at least 7 more last night. I can give a friend 2 or 3 but not more than that. I have 3 ideas:

First ( not an easy one): Buy another aquaclear 50 and do some 50 % weekly water change. Hardcore, I know :).

Second: I can buy a 5 gallon and transfer my betta fish to this tank. He will be pissed about leaving his 20 gallon long. But, it will give some room to transfer about 10 or so platy fish.

Third: I could just give them away to Petsmart or put a craiglist add.

What do you think i should do?

Thanks

Btw, I will only keep females in one tank. So far, the two-week babies seem to be female.

I don't think you'll be overstocked really if you keep them in that 40 with the filtration you have. Or if you have a friend who has a bigger fish you can give him the fry for it to eat.

Thanks for the quick reply. I looking into 6 months from now. I can do the water changes, no problem ( not really haha) but wouldnt be to much stress for the fish? Even if i do two 25% w/c per week? Not a big fan of fish eating other fish :(. But thanks, i appreciate your input.

Thanks for the quick reply. I looking into 6 months from now. I can do the water changes, no problem ( not really haha) but wouldnt be to much stress for the fish? Even if i do two 25% w/c per week? Not a big fan of fish eating other fish :(. But thanks, i appreciate your input.

It happens in the wild..but it's ok. I would first see if anyone (LFS or friends/family) would want any..and 25% is easy for a fish to handle. Lot of the time fish love wc's. I do at least a 50% a week and never had a problems.

Thanks, i do 50% every two weeks with no problems too. The issue is the number of fish that the tank will house in 6 months, that is about 50. Platies are very messy and adding another filter will help a lot with the ammonia but no so much with the nitrates. I guess i wont scape the weekly 50% water change.:) And yes, fish eating fish happen in the wild, but they are not in the wild. Yet, that is up to the criteria of each individual.

Thanks, i do 50% every two weeks with no problems too. The issue is the number of fish that the tank will house in 6 months, that is about 50. Platies are very messy and adding another filter will help a lot with the ammonia but no so much with the nitrates. I guess i wont scape the weekly 50% water change.:) And yes, fish eating fish happen in the wild, but they are not in the wild. Yet, that is up to the criteria of each individual.

Your best bet is to get rid of them..or cut down on the breeding in the future..or you'll keep running into this problem. So you'll have to figure something out.

Oh, i am not trying to breed them. I have some experience with platies but i couldnt resist buying two more females. They looked two young to become pregnant but since they can hold the sperm for six months, it is inevitable. I will only keep up to 10 new females and the rest will give away. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom