Passenger's TopFin 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PassengerTN

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy all. Stepped away from the forums for awhile after some life changes, but never stepped out of the hobby. Figured I'd come back around since I'm starting this tank (again).

Last October I divorced my ex wife, and downsized my fish hobby to only my 75 gallon cichlid tank. FF to December I picked up this Topfin 5 gallon all in one aquarium with the intentions of a small planted tank to fill the void of missing having more than one tank.

V9TtibJ.jpg

It hit all my needs perfectly. I wanted it to sit on my dresser, beside my television. Fit like a glove.

Initially I tried the dry start method with dwarf baby tears. Tank was dirted and capped with play sand.

iNabJk7.jpg

Things went well at first, then it started dying in mass clumps daily.

accrs7o.jpg

Finally I got frustrated, ripped it all out, tossed in a few fish with just the rock hardscape and left it alone.

Two or three months went by, and I decided to tackle it again. This happened.

EV8gIni.jpg

I was pleased, things grew fine, but I still wasn't happy. I planted some s.repens as a carpet plant, and shortly after I got hit hard with cyano bacteria. I let it ride out for a few weeks.

Fast forward to now. I decided if I'm doing it, I'm doing it 110%, not half jacked like I've been doing for almost a year.

FCYa1lb.jpg

Caleb, aka IAmACoolGuy hooked me up on his old pressurized co2 setup. I'm awaiting arrival of a Finnex light which should be here tomorrow. I changed substrate, rescaped, and replanted the tank last night.
Here's the tank now.

yBeorQk.jpg

zuqRUvy.jpg

zYxRZl4.jpg

Still needs a few plants obviously. Heres what we have so far, and what I'm thinking of adding.

T8qSheW.jpg

I will likely tear the vals out, as I'm not sure I'll like them in the end. Recommendations for stem plants?

If you've read this all, I am looking for comments, suggestions and criticism please. Let's hear it folks!

Jesse

What an awesome nano tank there! And quite a journey. Thanks for sharing. Things should take off with the new lighting.
If you need any, I have some Ludwigia sp. red. Not alot ATM, just some. That came from Brookster eons ago. I also have AR mini, Downoi, dwarf baby tears, staur repens, and Limno aromatica in case your plant list changes. Hit me up.

Thanks for the words Fresh, I'll def keep you in mind for future plants!

My Finnex Stingray and co2 diffuser arrived today. Got every thing hooked up, and running smooth. Starting off at 1bps for 6 hours. Co2 comes on an hour before the light does, and goes off and hour before the light does. Here's the drop checker 3 hours into the co2's schedule.

RCYcsNu.jpg

Looks good to me, but what do you guys think?

Jesse

Little update on plant growth. This is 15 days after initial planting. Carpet doing great!

Jesse

Attachments

• 1475608198430.jpg
    1475608198430.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 38
  • 1475608214147.jpg
    1475608214147.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 38
Was there space in the filter area for a heater? And how is the light? And last... is the light on a separate power cable than the filter?

Thanks!

Was there space in the filter area for a heater? And how is the light? And last... is the light on a separate power cable than the filter?

Thanks!

There is plenty of space for a heater. I've actually upgraded the filter on this one to a more powerful powerhead. Stock is 47gph, current one is 98gph. Still room for a heater. I run a Hagen/Marina C25 heater on this one. The stock light is okay for low light plants, it's super bright for viewing. Power is on the same plug as the stock filter.

Jesse

Back
Top Bottom