PH Rise and CO2 Crash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricardo48

Aquarium Advice Freak
Help me somebody!!

Within 24 hours my PH has gone up from 7.5 to 8.5 and the water has gone cloudy.

My KH has stayed at 14 which means my CO2 has gone from 23ppm to now 4ppm but i am still injecting CO2 with tetra optimat AND diy yeast.

However it was not bubbling much when I got home... has the diy yeast stopped and this caused a massive co2 drop and rise in PH???

CO2 causes pH to drop.
30 ppm will drop your pH one full point, so when the gas ran out----up goes the pH.

I'm not familliar with DIY setups, but it sure looks like your yeast went south.

How old is the yeast culture? From what I've read, they only last 2 - 3 weeks.

Several folks I've read about have a three bottle set-up and change one bottle out every week. That way no single culture is more than 2 weeks old.

Mine is only less than 1 week old but it definetly stopped bubbling.

Is that what has caused cloudy/milky water also? all other readings are 0 for nitrite / ammonia etc

Do you have perfect recipe for diy yeast as i can never get past 1 week before it runs out.

2 cups sugar 1 teaspoon of yeast always works for me.

i bet you have a leak somewhere. if there is a leak the gas will take the easiest route out. use some soapy water on all of your connections and look sor bubbles

It's kinda hard to say about the cloudy water.
Quite often that indicates an algae bloom and as far as I know, you just let it run it's coarse. I think it takes about a week or so.

Wish I could be of more help but the info is kinda vague.

Cloudy water has now gone as I did a new CO2 batch and my ph dropped back to 7.0 and my co2 is now 35ppm.

Seems high PH made water merky?

when the pressure from the co2 stops its possible for the water to get into the tube and down into the mixture and then up into the tank. its why many people uses a check valve to keep that from happening.

Back
Top Bottom