Plant for a shaded area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BKshish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need ideas on what to plant in this area of my 55 gal. Its literally in the middle of my tank that's full of green, but this area just sticks out in a negative way. As you can see, the decor prevents light from racing the entire area. Would dwarf hair grass our a patch of moss be ideal to cover this area? Anybody had luck with thus type of situation?

ForumRunner_20130620_102509.jpg

Dwarf hairgrass needs high light. Plants that are suitable for a shaded area are Anubia, Java Ferns (both regular and Wendilov), and Bolbitus. You can tie them onto the decoration or tie them onto a small rock and put them where you want under or around the decoration.

You could put a few small Crypts like parva in front (where the light is still visible). This will aid the plant and make the negative space go away without putting a plant in an indefinite shade.

Thank you for the replies, been meaning to update, but I've planted small pieces of windelov java at all the points where the decor stands on the substrate. I will post a picture once the java thickens and doesn't look so wimpy as it does now. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom