Plant help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking to plant my 45 gal tank that houses a lone pair of breeding angels. What kind of plants are suitable for this setup. I have a 4" light fixture with a Hagen life glo 2 and a Hagen aqua glo. Any and all suggestions are much appreciated.

Hello!

One plant that is my bread and butter is water sprite. VERY undemanding and could easily thrive under your GLO lighting system. Very fast growing and propagation is easy. Once a plant gets big enough it'll begin growing smaller plants on the leaves and roots will form. Pluck them off once you feel they're big enough, and there you go! A whole new plant. I started with about three plants and easily have over 10 big new ones now. Float it, plant it, do whatever you want with it! I recommend water sprite especially for new aquariums as it soaks up a ton of nutrients like ammonia and nitrate. Great for raising fry and soaking up excess nutrients, water sprite is reliable and is one of my all time favorite plants. Personally, I like to float it, let it develop some roots, and then plant. I'm officially sold on this plant if you couldn't tell already. ;) Hope this helps!

yeah water sprite is awsome but will take over ur tank i have to discard 3quarters of the top of my tank every few weeks java fern will grow under it aswell dosnt need fertz or Co2 just dont use a gravle cleaner let the poop sink in

thats 2 plant that will make a tank look good

A broad leaf plant like a sword would be nice. The angelfish may tend to lay eggs on them if they can;t find a suitable rock.

TotallyCoral said:
Hello!

One plant that is my bread and butter is water sprite. VERY undemanding and could easily thrive under your GLO lighting system. Very fast growing and propagation is easy. Once a plant gets big enough it'll begin growing smaller plants on the leaves and roots will form. Pluck them off once you feel they're big enough, and there you go! A whole new plant. I started with about three plants and easily have over 10 big new ones now. Float it, plant it, do whatever you want with it! I recommend water sprite especially for new aquariums as it soaks up a ton of nutrients like ammonia and nitrate. Great for raising fry and soaking up excess nutrients, water sprite is reliable and is one of my all time favorite plants. Personally, I like to float it, let it develop some roots, and then plant. I'm officially sold on this plant if you couldn't tell already. ;) Hope this helps!

Brilliant post,thanks i read this as i have some water sprite,so ill try what you say float it see what happens as i planted it when i 1st got it and it went straggly :)

tropicalfishlady said:
Brilliant post,thanks i read this as i have some water sprite,so ill try what you say float it see what happens as i planted it when i 1st got it and it went straggly :)

My very 1st plant was Java ferns and now i have impressive growths on a piece of wood and 2 rocks,very.easy plant,just tie onto something and it attaches itself to it whilst growing,and also attaches itself to.small pebbles and peasize gravel i have sand so i attched it to my wood and rocks,but i gave a plant to.my daughter for her musk turtle tank she pushed it in gravel,it was only small when i gave her it,it was one of my baby plants off end of my leaves and its a decent size now !!! And its roots attached to gravel and it must like turtle poop ;-)

If you want plants that the angel pair will like and use for spawning then give them one amazon sword as mentioned by Wroberson above and anubia's. Just had a pair spawn one of the anubia nana's yesterday. They like the leaves since they are flat and firm. Other plants that would work well would be crypts, use Wendtii Red or Bronze to add alittle color. Red or Green Tiger lotus, water sprite or wisteria for fast growth in helping with mopping up excess nutrients. An easy stem plants that also looks really nice is Ambulia. Narrowleaf temple, dwarf sag, and bacopa would all work in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom