Planted Tank Bulb type help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickriley2010

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked this 10 gallon top fin tank up with hood. Im not partially fond anything other than LED but I don't have much money. So I was wondering which bulbs I should get ? Like color and type I don't know much about plants.

4il7tgA.jpg

Also plants that don't need alot of co2. And some fish that will go good if you can.

Can't tell by pic if the hood is flourescent or incandescent. Either way you want to use bulbs with a kelvin temp between 5000 and 8000K. In think 6000 to 6700k is optimum.

If you start with organic soil, I don't think you'll need root tabs for the first 3-4 months as the nutrients are why you use it instead of sand or gravel. Need some dirters to chime in here. I'm a eco-complete/flora max user myself. Good luck. Sounds like a good find. OS.

If you're just wanting non-demanding low light plants, that hood should be sufficient. I'm not too familiar with top fin products, but that looks like it came with fluorescent bulbs.

As for substrate, is this your first planted tank? Dirt is generally not recommended for those new to planted tanks.

For root tabs, you can find some name-brand ones in stores such as petsmart. However, those can be fairly pricey. You can go on to ebay, though, and see the root tabs on there. They are generally pretty inexpensive.

If you're just wanting non-demanding low light plants, that hood should be sufficient. I'm not too familiar with top fin products, but that looks like it came with fluorescent bulbs.

As for substrate, is this your first planted tank? Dirt is generally not recommended for those new to planted tanks.

For root tabs, you can find some name-brand ones in stores such as petsmart. However, those can be fairly pricey. You can go on to ebay, though, and see the root tabs on there. They are generally pretty inexpensive.

No bulbs in it. Empty takes those small bulbs .

A2sHKpj.jpg

bed95GV.jpg

eX8DRXw.jpg

What are some plants that will grow in low light and not need a co2 generator?

If you want a good quality root tab you can get Ru-tabs from peabodysparadise.com I use them and my plants LOVE them they have all your macro and micro nutrients in them he makes them himself and are much cheaper than getting the ones from big box stores and you know tith the Ru-tabs they have everything in them.

If you want a good quality root tab you can get Ru-tabs from peabodysparadise.com I use them and my plants LOVE them they have all your macro and micro nutrients in them he makes them himself and are much cheaper than getting the ones from big box stores and you know tith the Ru-tabs they have everything in them.

Cool ill check those out I was told awhile ago about a tab I could just get at like Home Depot I forgot what it was though .

Osmocote plus you can get them on amazon sometimes and some home depot stores carry them. You can take about 7 and freeze them in ice cubes or put them in clear gel capsules like the kind pills come in. And just stick them down in the substrate. Some people on here even sell them already dome up. But I personally prefer the Ru tabs a 50 pack should last you a really long time I got I think it was a 20pack months ago and have only used a few so far.

I was going to suggest 23 watt 6500k compact fluorescent bulbs but due to the narrow area where they are plugged in, the CFLs might be too wide.

Osmocote plus you can get them on amazon sometimes and some home depot stores carry them. You can take about 7 and freeze them in ice cubes or put them in clear gel capsules like the kind pills come in. And just stick them down in the substrate. Some people on here even sell them already dome up. But I personally prefer the Ru tabs a 50 pack should last you a really long time I got I think it was a 20pack months ago and have only used a few so far.

Those O+ tabs are the ones sold on ebay. You can get 100 for 10 bucks :) Once I get off mobile I can share a link. Since O+ has been discontinued, it's hard to get any more to make them yourself.

Ya its hard to find but it has micro and macro nutrients in it unlike regular osmocote. I still reccomend Ru-tabs though

I was going to suggest 23 watt 6500k compact fluorescent bulbs but due to the narrow area where they are plugged in, the CFLs might be too wide.

I have this lighting fixture, and believe it or not, the same bulbs as mentioned here. They are too wide, and bulge up if you are using a glass top.

On the other note, RU Tabs are flippin' incredible. 50 pack for $10 that contain all nutrients.

+1 for Peabody's Paradise as well. Great website and fast shipping.

I have this lighting fixture, and believe it or not, the same bulbs as mentioned here. They are too wide, and bulge up if you are using a glass top.

On the other note, RU Tabs are flippin' incredible. 50 pack for $10 that contain all nutrients.

+1 for Peabody's Paradise as well. Great website and fast shipping.

Just as a plug for O+....peabody has O+ tabs as well, same price as ru tabs. They cover 9 times more area than Ru tabs I believe (2x2=4 square inches for ru tabs, 6x6 = 36 square inches for O+) they also last longer and have a boatload of nutrients as well. But whatever floats your boat :)

Just as a plug for O+....peabody has O+ tabs as well, same price as ru tabs. They cover 9 times more area than Ru tabs I believe (2x2=4 square inches for ru tabs, 6x6 = 36 square inches for O+) they also last longer and have a boatload of nutrients as well. But whatever floats your boat :)

Hmm, I didn't see those until I just checked their website. They said they can cause ammonia spikes so be careful! ;)

They can - as long as you put them at the bottom of the substrate you'll be fine, though. I use those and never have had issues.

Also, now that I'm off of mobile: Aquarium Plant Root Tab Fertilizer 105 | eBay

So heavy root feeders aren't necessarily looking for iron? Iron is only like .45% of that mixture.

And seeing all these high quantity tabs, it begs the question, how hard are they to make yourself?

Obviously there is the osmocote path, but RU tabs can't be that hard to recreate. But I don't mind supporting Peabody's Paradise!

So heavy root feeders aren't necessarily looking for iron? Iron is only like .45% of that mixture.

And seeing all these high quantity tabs, it begs the question, how hard are they to make yourself?

Obviously there is the osmocote path, but RU tabs can't be that hard to recreate. But I don't mind supporting Peabody's Paradise!

IME iron can help lotuses like RTL, however I'm not sure how necessary they are for all heavy root feeders. Like I said, I have used these and have had excellent results.

As for creation difficulty - they aren't hard to make. The only problem is that O+ is now discontinued. There are a few people selling it now but those people's prices are much higher than regular now, as they are banking off its rarity. A 4.5# jug normally is $15, now you can't find in under $25 it looks like.

Last edited:
If you go to peqbodys YouTube channel he shows you exactly how to make them and how much of what to put in them. It's either on peabodys or jetajockey channel I don't remember which one.

Back
Top Bottom