Planted Tank Bulb type help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
unless you have any high light requirement plants, which wouldn't work with that hood anyway, just goto to walmart and get the cheap aquarium/grow light. since your hood is incandescent I would suggest a CFL grow light if the base with fit. I have a Marineland 5gal Hex tand with Incandescent hood that I fit a Coralife Colormax CFL Bulb in. I think Coralife also comes in a grow max or 6500k variety. CFL's produce much less heat and evaporation and use half the power or less. if nothing else Walmart carries those long skinny Incandescent bulbs in a Grow light formula for greenhouses and aquariums etc. they even carry some of the long tube Flourescents as well, much cheaper than a LFS too!

unless you have any high light requirement plants, which wouldn't work with that hood anyway, just goto to walmart and get the cheap aquarium/grow light. since your hood is incandescent I would suggest a CFL grow light if the base with fit. I have a Marineland 5gal Hex tand with Incandescent hood that I fit a Coralife Colormax CFL Bulb in. I think Coralife also comes in a grow max or 6500k variety. CFL's produce much less heat and evaporation and use half the power or less. if nothing else Walmart carries those long skinny Incandescent bulbs in a Grow light formula for greenhouses and aquariums etc. they even carry some of the long tube Flourescents as well, much cheaper than a LFS too!

Could you upload a picture of what you have or a link can't seek to find.

the bulbs should be easy to find in places like HD or hardware stores, or Walmart. the colour temp is usually printed some where on the package and the base of the bulb. I wouldn't use any bigger than 13 watts for that tank, unless you want lots of algae. There are lots of plants that will grow in plain gravel, even without root tabs. I also wouldn't use any enhanced soil mixes. My dirt tank has poor top soil mixed with gravel in the first inch, about 50/50, and another inch and a half over it. The less organic material in the soil the better. I usually dust the soil gravel mix with a little peat moss before adding the cap.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom