Pleco deatruction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela1108

Aquarium Advice Addict
So in my planted 55 gal we have a rather destructive pleco who is mowing down my sword. It makes me sad. I am pretty positive it is him because the holes are v shaped when they start. I wondered about deficiencies but I think I am ok. We use flourish, flourish excel, and root tabs under each of the plants.

I have heard/read that having a piece of drift wood for him to munch on might help. My only concern is I think that dw makes the water softer and brings down ph, right? Our tap already comes out pretty low- after 24 hours waiting it is around 6.6

So my question I guess- any type of dw that doesn't bring down ph or any other ideas of something that might deter him? If I put a large chunk of cucumber in he will eat that and seems to leave the plants alone. We feed him algae tabs and veggies

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Supposed to be destruction for the title. Apparently I can't type lol

Driftwood will not effect your ph that much especially if you boil it before using, and do water changes.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Yeah we do weekly changes anyways. Maybe I will try it then! I knew to boil for the tannins and stuff but I had read in a few places it might lower. Worst case try it and then take it out if it does.

I've also been contemplating a substrate change to sand instead of gravel. Not sure if it is coincidence or what but our other tanks ph is significantly higher- 7.6 Well not super high but compared so 6.8 it is) and the only difference other than stock is sand

Ohhhh it's him! I just got rid of mine! Sh##ed all over the place! cleared out my baby tears, and I would hide all the time. Last pleco I will ever buy!

Yeah. Kinda annoying. My sword looks like poop now :/

We are debating returning him. Despite the eating of the plants I do like him though :/

Yeah. He is (at least I am pretty sure) the only one eating the plants. Doesn't seem to go for the anubias much.

We are definitely debating keeping him or not

my 19 inch pleco leaves my java fern and anubus alone i just find them floating in the 200 gallon once they anchor though it looks great.

ps any suggestions for plants with plecos? id like a little more variety

Mine leave the hornwort and anacharis alone. I have mine tied down into th gravel to look like plants even though they are floating plants

I had water wisteria and he ate it super bad and I moved it to my other tank

Back
Top Bottom