Possible upgrade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacos377

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have all the equipment to upgrade to a 20 long tank except the actual tank and lighting... I looked on amazon and saw that the finnex ray 2 was at 30 inches and the finnex fugeray as well. Which would you recommend? I have never had trouble with algea in my current tank and already have a DIY co2 system that works great. Any suggestions are appreciated!!!

...trouble with algea in my current tank and already have a DIY co2 system that works great...

Sounds like it's time to upgrade to pressurized CO2, especially if you're looking to put money somewhere in your setup.

Well two things... I have 2 Finnex Ray2's and love the lighting! LED efficiency rocks!

Secondly, I run 3 tanks with co2 and 2 are pressurized and 1 is DIY. The DIY is on my 12g and it does fine. DIY, from how I understand it, is best in tanks <20g. But I think you can give it a shot and if you start running into algae problems, start supplementing it by dosing with Excel (or generic Excel, Glutaraldehyde). But IMO, if you can invest in a pressurized system down the road, it makes things a lot easier. Aquatek makes some pretty decent co2 systems at a reasonable price.

I think Billbug's suggestion earlier with a 17g Mr. Aqua is perfect. Its rimless and at 24" long, you'll find plenty of options for lighting --with the Finnex Ray 2 as one of them.

I think the finer sand will just work its way under the eco complete. You don't like EC on its own?

You might need more unless you want a really low substrate that's flat. I personally like to add slopes to add more dimension -- having at least 2" in height of lowest part of my substrate to 3 to 4" on the higher slopes. You can either buy more EC or even Floramax, which is the same thing as EC but without the extra water weight. Last time I checked, the local Petsmart had Floramax on sale for $10 for 12 lbs. I think one more bag would be good. Or if you're feeling like being creative, you can create a two-toned (non-planted) beach area with sand, and the planted part of the tank would be the EC. That way, you wouldn't need as much EC or sand. It would also look better than a layered substrate look, which gives the appearance of cake layers...LOL

You can do something like the example on this page:
Minnesota Fish Keepers Forum • View topic - Rescaping 55 gallon

Back
Top Bottom