Rescaping Newly Cycled 5.5g from Gravel to EcoComplete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankinWithUs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Our tank is literally within days of completing the fishless cycle and as we add more and more low-tech plants, I'm feeling super guilty that I don't have a richer substrate for the plants to thrive in.

I'm leaning towards ecoComplete

A couple of questions - is this a stupid move considering we're only just finishing up cycling? Is there an additional waiting period when we do change the substrate? Will I be killing all of our brand new BB by removing the gravel? What is the best way to keep the BB happy while I change out the substrate?

For a 5.5g tank, how much EC should I get?

That's a lot of questions, but you guys are the experts :) Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!!!!

Just thought of something...should I do the substrate change when I do the big water change at the end of the cycle in a couple days?

Good call switching out the substrate. You could do it now if you wanted. First take out a bit of water to house your fish and plants if you put any in. If no plants or fish are in. Simple take out the old tank water(save as much as you can) put it in your water changing bucket. If you can run the filter on the same bucket the tank water is in do it, if not just keep the media went with the tank water. Once the tank is empty of water, take out you old gravel and the add eco. Put your old water back in and reinstall your filter, bam there you go...substrate is changed and ready for fish and a scape. Hope this makes sense.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Makes perfect sense! We don't have fish yet and I'm trying to make all the changes now before we do. Sounds simple enough! Thank you!!!!

I've ordered ecoComplete! Should be here on Wednesday. Quick question - when I'm ready to put the plants back in...do I bury the roots? Or still tie to rocks (Java Fern, Anubias)?

My plants:

Java Fern
Anubias
Cardinal Plant

Soon to come:
Banana Plants
I'll try Wisteria again when I have the ecoComplete

My ferts:
Seachem Flourish (1x week)
Seachem Excel (Daily - every other day)
Seachem Iron (not started)
Seachem Potassium (not started)
Seachem Root Tabs

The ones such as Java Fern just tie them down like you were doing before. The rest plant them. IMO I would do 2 inches of ecocomplete on the bottom to ensure roots have plenty of room. One bag in a 5.5g is plenty.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Great question! I am thinking about the same thing! As far as Annubus or Java Fern you can plant or tie to a rock/DW. I have heard they do better tied to something but I'm not 100% sure. GL and keep us up today on how it goes!

OK, great. I can't wait to put this in the tank. I think our Endlers will look beautiful against the black substrate. And our ghost shrimp will be easier to see. My son will be so stoked.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the tip on depth. I wasn't really sure. Does EC need to be soaked or rinsed at all?

Thanks for the tip on depth. I wasn't really sure. Does EC need to be soaked or rinsed at all?

Many people do not wash it, they just dump it right in. I'm not sure why. I washed mine just like anything else before it is put in my tank though.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I think I'd want to wash it. Off to the dollar store for another bucket ;)

I first got into planted tanks because of a tank I bought for my daughter. This story is starting to sounds pretty familiar. lol

I first got into planted tanks because of a tank I bought for my daughter. This story is starting to sounds pretty familiar. lol

Kids will make you do anything! My hubby and I first got the tank when I was pregnant because we wanted to have a fish that grew up with the baby (how corny :facepalm:) but we totally tanked it and gave up.

Now that said baby is darn near 3 years old, I figured we'll try again and do it properly this time. By "do it properly" I simply meant cycle without fish. I did not mean, however, buy plants, change substrate, upgrade filter and filter media and contemplate a bigger tank for the living room downstairs.

This is the hobby that just keeps on giving!

Kids will make you do anything! My hubby and I first got the tank when I was pregnant because we wanted to have a fish that grew up with the baby (how corny :facepalm:) but we totally tanked it and gave up.

Now that said baby is darn near 3 years old, I figured we'll try again and do it properly this time. By "do it properly" I simply meant cycle without fish. I did not mean, however, buy plants, change substrate, upgrade filter and filter media and contemplate a bigger tank for the living room downstairs.

This is the hobby that just keeps on giving!

Ha! Yes it does. It's pretty addicting. I sometimes fantasize about winning the lottery. And in the fantasy are fish tanks. :fish2:

Sounds like you are on the right track. I've been following your adventure and you are making smart decisions. It's always easier to change things when fish aren't involved. Not that it can't be done but it's more challenging. Especially since you've decided to go planted. I can't wait to see the big tank in your living room. :)

If you have any living creatures (besides plants) the directions say to NOT put the liquid in the EC bag in! Read the back of the bag carefully.

It also says NOT TO RINSE - just drain since you have the Endler's already.

Here's the back of the bag:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424730088.501873.jpg

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

I don't have any fish in right now. All of this is going to happen before fish. I'm happy you pointed that out!

Ha! Yes it does. It's pretty addicting. I sometimes fantasize about winning the lottery. And in the fantasy are fish tanks. :fish2:

Sounds like you are on the right track. I've been following your adventure and you are making smart decisions. It's always easier to change things when fish aren't involved. Not that it can't be done but it's more challenging. Especially since you've decided to go planted. I can't wait to see the big tank in your living room. :)

Thanks!!! Hopefully, I don't make a big mess out of everything

So how's the cycle coming? Is it done yet?? PS- I'm almost as excited as you are! Can't wait to see all your hard work pay off with little endlers swimming around!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So how's the cycle coming? Is it done yet?? PS- I'm almost as excited as you are! Can't wait to see all your hard work pay off with little endlers swimming around!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

nearly! We finally made it to 0,0 but it took over 24 hrs. We are challenging the nitrite today. Patience, indeed!!

OK, guys...so, I went to the LFS and picked up 3 banana plants. His plants had algae on them, though. I went ahead and got them because they looked otherwise healthy and I figured I could kill the algae with some hydrogen peroxide, yes? Probably not? Sigh. So much to learn.

I ordered a glass top for the tank and am looking into a clip-on LED hood that isn't all that expensive but will do the trick for my not-so-needy plants.

Hoping to be cycled here reaaaal soon. Ecocomplete, Flourish Iron, Flourish Potassium arrived today! Yay! Waiting to get off work to go home and complete everything. I am so stoked...and nervous. I'm pretty nervous I'm going to kill every single thing.

Back
Top Bottom