Shoplight...need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi I just bought a 4' shop light that uses 32 watt T8 lamps....of course sold seperately...so I want to know 1.) if 48" active spaces f32 t8 daylight 6500k is a good bulb for low/mod plants in my 55g?, and 2.) since I am not using CO2, do I nee to use 1 bulb or I can still use both?

Hi I just bought a 4' shop light that uses 32 watt T8 lamps....of course sold seperately...so I want to know 1.) if 48" active spaces f32 t8 daylight 6500k is a good bulb for low/mod plants in my 55g?, and 2.) since I am not using CO2, do I nee to use 1 bulb or I can still use both?

Yes. I use these for my 55 gallon tanks that have low or mid light plants, with two GE 6500k daylight bulbs. Cabomba, Amazon swords, duckweed, various crypts, Java fern, Java moss, Thai onions, various aponogeton and various anubias, and all do well with that lighting set-up.

With DIY CO2 injection, I also was able to get my ludwigia to grow well. IME, these lights do not penetrate deep enough to allow for good plant growth in deeper tanks, even low light plants.

I had a disaster with my planted tanks last spring when I went outta town for business, so haven't really got everything set back-up yet plant wise. Not sure what happened, and my 12 year old daughter who was showing the fish to her friends doesn't know what happened, but says she has some ideas ;), but regardless my lights ended up switched from "timer" to "on" mode and were on for 24/7 for 5 days straight. My tanks were filled with algae and cyano from top to bottom, and I lost almost all my plants, and all three of my shrimp colonies. So I haven't experimented anymore, with the summer and all.

WYite

oh no...wow...okay well I am the timer for now so how many hours do you suggest? right now my lights stay on at least 10-12 but since I just gotten these I can do whatever is recommended so I don't have that algae outbreak...thanks in advance
also I have the lights 4.5-5 inches away from top

Mine sit directly on the Versa-tops. I ran 12 hours a day on the tanks with cabomba or ludwigia, I have it set at 9 hours a day for the tanks without.

WYite

Mine sit directly on the Versa-tops. I ran 12 hours a day on the tanks with cabomba or ludwigia, I have it set at 9 hours a day for the tanks without.

WYite

I'm sorry, what is versa tops? Do you have a close-up pic of it sitting on tank?

edit: I just googled versa tops...sorry I know now...

I'd put it as close as possible also. A 8 hour photoperiod is plenty. I use a few different shop lights, the diamond plates ones cost a little more but actually put out a ton more light. If you have the white or grey ones you could consider putting some reflective material in the housing to help increase the light going into the tank. As it stands you are basically around the low light range.

I'd put it as close as possible also. A 8 hour photoperiod is plenty. I use a few different shop lights, the diamond plates ones cost a little more but actually put out a ton more light. If you have the white or grey ones you could consider putting some reflective material in the housing to help increase the light going into the tank. As it stands you are basically around the low light range.

What I did so light escaping could be minimized: I built a partial canopy (with 2x4) around the side and front which did make a big noticeable difference... I may just place on the top I was just afraid to have it too close to water (condensation/water and electricity is like oil and water) where the opening is by the filters..any suggestions

Yes it's low light, t8 bulbs don't penetrate very well in deep tanks. Even in my shallow 40b's with the bulbs right over top I still only considered them around medium light at best. Heres a comparison chart to get an idea of what I'm talking about. The chart shows 1 bulb fixtures for t8 but generally a 2 bulb will be a little better than a 1 bulb, but not like double the output or anything.
Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts

Versa-Tops are a brand name for a glass hinged canopy. Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: All-Glass Versa-Tops

Sorry for the confusion. :) I just set the shoplights right on the glass.

As jetajockey said, T8s just don't have enough pentrating power to be effective in deeper tanks, I tried 'em on a 90 as well, and had abysmal luck even with the plants I already mentioned 'cept for crypts and Java ferns.

WYite

Versa-Tops are a brand name for a glass hinged canopy. Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: All-Glass Versa-Tops

Sorry for the confusion. :) I just set the shoplights right on the glass.

As jetajockey said, T8s just don't have enough pentrating power to be effective in deeper tanks, I tried 'em on a 90 as well, and had abysmal luck even with the plants I already mentioned 'cept for crypts and Java ferns.

WYite
Okay, I only want to be able to have good growth with low/mod plants

Back
Top Bottom