Sick puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monkeymama

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone help? My puffer fish is sluggish and had two white spots beside his eyes. What's wrong with him?

I just read your profile. Seems like you have your puffers in a community tank. Get your puffers out ASAP. Put them in a quarantine tank. Everyone should quarantine new fish.

I think it might have ich. There is a cure.

What kind of puffer do you have?

I just read your profile. Seems like you have your puffers in a community tank. Get your puffers out ASAP. Put them in a quarantine tank. Everyone should quarantine new fish.

I think it might have ich. There is a cure.

What kind of puffer do you have?

they are spotted puffers......they are not looking good at all..they are not new fish, they have been in the tank over a month....should I run to the petstore and get stuff for ick?
thank you for responding....
denise:thanks:

I think the ich medicine will kill all the benificial bacteria in your tank. I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable about fish disease can answer this one. I never had any illness for my fishes.

If it does kill all bacteria, then put your fish somewhere else and treat it.

My puffer died. Boooo. Still have another one. He looks ok at this point. I treated tank for ich. Hopefully everyone else survives

Do a lot of research about ich if are unsure. Sorry about your puffer. Keep a close watch on the other puffer. How long ago did you introduce your puffers to the tank and where did you buy them?

Terrance said:
Do a lot of research about ich if are unsure. Sorry about your puffer. Keep a close watch on the other puffer. How long ago did you introduce your puffers to the tank and where did you buy them?

My other puffer and other fish look fine. They never showed any signs of ich. How do I know if it's gone? I want to add an elephant nose but don't want to kill it I bought the puffers at walmart.

wait a month to see if anything else die. check your water level. the ich medicine kills beneficial bacteria. so if you start getting ammonia or nitrite then say bye bye to the other puffer.

Edit: please do daily water changes to make sure you have less than 0.25ppm ammonia and nitrite. I'm experiencing a mini cycle with my current puffer, and have been doing 50% water changes daily. Sometimes I do two 50% water changes in a day. Let me know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom